Miniature Orchid Bloom

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Miniature Orchid Bloom

Post by beetleman »

I have three Miniature orchids in The terrarium that are blooming or getting ready to bloom. This plant is Sophronitis Cernua from Brazil. The Blooms only last a couple of days so I figured I better take some pictures. Will post more as the other plants bloom.

1/60
F/5
ISO 100

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wow, I see what you mean about "miniature"! I would have guessed several times bigger, without the scale bars.

But then I'm conditioned by my wife's orchids, whose leaves are ...um... (grabs ruler, measures leaves) ...hhmm, even bigger than I thought... right at 7" long.

Yep, yours are a lot smaller. :D

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Hi Rik, the smallest one I have, Schoenorchis fragrans, is the size of a dime in diameter. It looks like it will be blooming soon, so more pictures are on their way. :wink:
Doug Breda

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Great! :smt023 I just like miniature orchids. Couldn't wait for more. Getting eager. :D
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Interesting species Doug ...and it's obviously happy being stick grown. I wonder if its epiphytic in its natural habitat?

Nice photo!

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Very nice images there Doug :D , I can tell, in the first one especially, that you have put Neat Image to work. You will have to watch that Demo program closely because it can remove details that you sometimes would rather keep but most of the time it works to your advantage and on top of that its a free download, so ya can't really complain. Very few things in this world are free anymore. :)

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Bruce Wrote:
I wonder if its epiphytic in its natural habitat?
Hi Bruce, most orchids are epiphytic. There are some that are terrestial. If an orchid is potted, it is usually in a very loose airy medium and can stand a little more moisture on its` roots. When they stick mount or bark mount an orchid, it usually means it needs to dry out between watering and does not like any water hanging out on its roots at all. Potted orchids are very easy to overwater and get root rot.
Doug Breda

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not that familiar with orchids Doug so was surprised to see the shape of the flower which did not look like what I usually associate with orchids, being a symetrical flower. Are there many with this type of campanulate symetrical flower?

DaveW

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Sorry Dave, this is not the best angle for this flower and it might not be fully open in this shot (Ihave to take them when I can). Here is a shot of the same orchid from the web.
http://www.orchidspecies.com/sophronitiscernura.htm
Masdevallia Species orchids have some pretty strange looking flowers also.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic