www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Gametophytes of Marchantia
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gametophytes of Marchantia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Gametophytes of Marchantia Reply with quote

Gametophytes of Marchantia

Top Canon 10D with Kiron 28-85mm Macro
Lower two Canon Pro 90IS with E3500 close up lens

I present three photo macrographs of the common leafy Liverwort Marchantia. The upper image shows a fresh spring growth amongst moss. The middle image a leaf, out of which gemma cups containing gemmae have grown up, plus a mature Archegoniophore (flower petal like feature –upper left) of the female gametophyte. I came across this specimen too late in the season to catch the Antheraidiophore of the male gametophyte which is necessary for sporophytic generation of the liverwort.

The lower image shows a close-up of the gemma cups and the gemmae they contain. They can be seen as the green disks in side the cups. The liverwort uses these to reproduce asexually when washed out by raindrops. Please see my post on the photomicrography forum for close-ups of the gemmae.

Walt
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting series of images there Walt. Very Happy I find liverworts quite common around areas of freshwater run off here in the mountains, some are associated with mosses, others are not. Personally I have never observed the gemma of any liverworts, I suppose I have not been in the right places at the right time, but I have read a little on the reproductive cycle of these plants. Smile
beetleman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures of a very interesting and cool subject. After I saw your pictures I did a little searching for info and it does seem like I have seen some of these things around. I will have to add them to my must photograph list for next summer. Another strange and wonderful organism (heading to micro forum Wink ) "LIKE YOUR HAT KEN"
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug replied:
Quote:
"LIKE YOUR HAT KEN"

Yeah, you really can't get a good look at it but I figured I would sport it for a show anyway. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: