White Spider

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carl_Constantine

White Spider

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Many times you pass by things and go to reach for your camera, only to find, you don't have it. I have many times wished I had my camera with me to take a shot, fortunately, this was NOT one of those times :-)

Pulled into my Church parking lot and happened to look at the antena on my car and saw this spider. Took a few pics and changed lenses. By this time the spider had moved. Have no idea what kind of spider this is, but it was big and beautiful (though this is a substancial crop). I don't own a macro lens (I wish, someone wish to donate $$$ for me to buy one??) but managed to take this with my zoom and a couple diopters.

If you know what kind of spider this is, please let me know.

Canon 300D | ISO 100 | F8 | 1/100s | 75-300mm @ 80mm +4+2 diopters | Manual | Handheld
Carl B. Constantine

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Super shot Carl.....and a very cool looking spider. He looks like it should be on a cream colored flower, hiding in ambush. Cannot give you an ID, sorry.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: White Spider

Post by rjlittlefield »

Carl_Constantine wrote:If you know what kind of spider this is, please let me know.
It's one of the Crab Spiders. Google images on "goldenrod spider" (Misumena vatia) and see if that looks familiar. My Audubon Field Guide to North American Insects & Spiders says that "This spider's color often changes to yellow, camouflaging it on yellow daisies and goldenrod." The field guide shows the white form. Both colors are well represented in Google's collection.

--Rik

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Thanks Rick. That's got the nail on the head. First site I hit had the exact picture. Thanks a heap.
Carl B. Constantine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic