Askenasia volvox

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bernd

Askenasia volvox

Post by Bernd »

Dear all:

Today I would like to introduce Askenasia volvox, an egg-shaped ciliate belonging to the family Didiniidae, which I found in a puddle. His mouth is surrounded by three girdles of cilia. The frontal girdle consists of motile feeding cilia. The middle girdle consists of about 60 stiff, immobile, sickle-shaped cilia, which are curving backwards, parallel to the body. These middle cilia produce the saltatory locomotion typical of this ciliate. Behind the middle girdle of cilia follows a girdle of long stiff bristles. The posterior end of the cell is unciliated. When looking along the longitudinal axis, which is possible during the frequent rest periods of this otherwise very fast swimmer, the middle girdle of cilia forms a graceful frame surrounding the animal. The long stiff bristles, which are diffucult to discern under rightfield illumination, then project through the middle cilia. Depending on the focal plane and whether the front or back end of the ciliate is directed towards the observer, very different views result.

A: Lateral view; B, C: Frontal view; D – F: View from behind.

All photographs were taken with a Canon Powershot G5 camera through a Plan-Neofluar 40x/0,75 objective attached to a Zeiss Axioskop, using brightfield illumination.

Bernd

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Bravo Bernd,

some fantastic shots of a very interesting organism!!

Thanks!!

Bernhard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A beautiful set of images in the composite Bernd and I noticed a scale bar there in the corner (I am going to get difficult here :lol: ). Charlie, a few days back suggested that a scale bar would be nice to have in one of my images, figuring out anything having to do with numbers has me screaming, waving my hands and heading for the door, sort of like tying size 32 midges, so without me having to breakout a sliderule or something, could you explain how you know that little line represents 10um in relation to the organism photographed and presented? I mean could someone say just...put any line in that corner, no matter how short or how long and say it represents 10um's? I would not know the difference one way or another. In laymans terms explain please. :D

Yeah, I am baiting Rik :lol:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Simply amazing Bernd. It is incredible how this creature could look so different in the shots. Nice work here and thank you for all the info also. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Beautiful brightfield images Bernd.

Walt

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Bernd... very nice images of a fascinating subject. I've only seen two of these, and really enjoyed watching them.

Ken... I've been away for a while, and I see the scale bar issue is still on your mind. I think I will start a new subject over in in the microscope "beginners" section. It might be useful to have something on this in the forum, even if folks don't care to use them too often.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Charlie replied:
I think I will start a new subject over in in the microscope "beginners" section. It might be useful to have something on this in the forum, even if folks don't care to use them too often.
Good idea! Thanks Charlie :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very good, the ultimate wheel animalcule!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic