H. calyculata, calyculus & capillitium w/spores

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

H. calyculata, calyculus & capillitium w/spores

Post by Ken Ramos »

In the first image I have labeled some of the features of this fruiting body and, I might add, it was my last specimen :( However, anything in the name of SCIENCE! :lol:

While viewing this subject, it brought to mind, a question that Doug had asked in an earlier post about the capillitial elements just springing from the stalk. In this image that is not the case. What I am showing is the "calyculus," a persistent cup-like structure formed from the basal portion of the peridium and surrounding the base of the spore mass. The calyculus is what is left of the lower portion of the peridium after it has split and mostly fallen away, exposing the capillitial elements. :)

The second shot is just for the viewing pleasure of anyone interested, it is basically the capillitium and a few spores hanging around the edge of the calyculus. :)

Note: Apologies for the air bubbles, my wetting agent did not work very well this time around, plus the fruiting body was quite thick.

Sony DSC-P200
1/100 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Zeiss Axiostar Plus
Zeiss 10X/0.25 CP Achromat
Substage halogen illumination w/blue and white diffusers

Sony DSC-P200
1/30 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 200
Zeiss Axiostar Plus
Zeiss 40X/0.65 CP Achromat
Substage halogen illumination w/blue and white diffusers

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

There you go Ken, getting all professional on us. Very nice indeed. Excellent work. oops, I forgot, "give the man a cigar" :smt028
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Doug :D , I stopped smoking a couple of three weeks ago though. :smt028 Yeah I fiddled around with the software and labled a few things to make what I was presenting a bit more clear. Sometimes I can get carried away and lose everyone with some of those ten cent words. :lol:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Good luck on the smoking...three weeks is really good. I quit 7 years ago. :smt023 I will never offer you a cigar again. {-(
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic