Fly profile in colour, and others.

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkB1

Fly profile in colour, and others.

Post by MarkB1 »

One from the bag. On my blue hemp shirt hanging on the line, sun is behind and high at 1, fill flash, rotated 90'.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Superb shots.

This is your spider:

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane ... Andrew.htm

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Three lovely shots!

The first fly is a horse fly or deer fly (The females are blood 'suckers', and I think this is a female) they can bite through shirts... Did it get you?.

I think the last one is a Mossie...

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Thanks Harold, some people go to a lot of trouble to collate and present information.

Thanks lauriek, it didn't get me. The shirt was hanging on the line to dry. The last one is a mozzie all right, probably one of the last around here for a while, it's getting that cold now.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

lauriek wrote: The first fly is a horse fly or deer fly (The females are blood 'suckers', and I think this is a female) they can bite through shirts
That was my first reaction but the mouthparts didn't seem shaped quite as I expected them to be. Which shows how wrong I was.

Harold

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

Great shots FZ!
Life is short - follow your interests
web galleries: http://www.staffanmalmberg.se

Panasonic FZ50
Olympus MCON40, Raynox: 150, 250, MSN-202

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

The mouthparts look similar to this one - http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... =horse+fly I shot a while back, which was definitely a Horse fly.. (And I presume with the eyes widely spaced like that, a female? Does that work for all diptera?)

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

As a student of the Tabanidae I really like #1. It's not a Deer Fly (Chrysops) but would be called a Horse Fly in the Northern Hemisphere.
Incidentally, Laurie's Haematopota is not crassicornis (antennae wrong for that species). In UK species in this genus are Clegs; Horse Flies are Tabanus and Hybomitra
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

NikonUser wrote: It's not a Deer Fly (Chrysops) but would be called a Horse Fly in the Northern Hemisphere. ........In UK species in this genus are Clegs; Horse Flies are Tabanus and Hybomitra
It's not so clear-cut. Whilst the Cleg is recognised as such, they are included with other tabanids as Horse-flies e.g. in A Field Guide to the Insects of Britain and Northern Europe, edited by Michael Chinery, ISBN 0 00 2192160. Chinery uses the hyphenated term Cleg-fly, which is not in common use. "Gad-fly" sees to have fallen out of widespread use.

My garden being adjacent to the Thames flood plain, we get three species. Chrysops relictus is the most common and hardest biter, the Cleg Haematopota pluvialis is frequent, and the huge Tabanus bovinus is occasional. Chrysops is the only one which seems no less frequent since the adjacent farm ceased fattening beef cattle several years ago.

Our Clegs do not have such colourful eyes but Chrysops relictus has very bright green, almost diode-like ones.

I have not seen any reference to Hybomitra in the British fauna.

Harold

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Harold:
FYI and FWIW. The classic
"British Blood-Sucking Flies" by Edwards, F.W. , Oldroyd, H, and J. Smart. 1939. [Price Fifteen Shillings]. British Museum, London, has great colour images. The Chpt on Haematopota calls them "Dun-Flies or Clegs" .
They also give accounts of all the British Horse Flies under the genus Tabanus. Currently 9 of these species are placed in the genus Hybomitra; see Chvala, M. et al.. 1972. "The Horse Flies of Europe"
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Excellent set!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Nikon User,

Thanks for the reference but £30 for a used copy from Amazon cannot be justified.

Incidentally, "dun" in Dun-flies means brownish grey.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Having found my other main book, which was cunningly hidden, in full view, on the correct bookshelf :roll: I can add to/correct my earlier post.

The larger species in my garden could be T. bromius.

There is another species, H. crassicornis "a horse-fly, sometimes also called a 'cleg'*. This does have irridescent eyes.

* The Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide by Paul Sterry, ISBN 0-00-220071-6

Harold

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

First one looks very nice against the blue background.
I must go and inspect my clothes' line now. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I keep coming back to these. Very nicely done! :smt023 I especially like the two flies.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic