Fern's new Frond macro

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Fern's new Frond macro

Post by Cyclops »

This is my first attempt at proper macro with the 10D plus macro lens.
I set the camera on the tripod, worked out how to use mirror lock up and self timer(that took me a while!)I took a few shots with the camera on Av but they came out a bit too bright. Failing to find exposure compensation while in aperture priority mode I put it in manual and got a better shot!

Vivitar 100mm f3.5macro lens + lifesize adaptor
4 seconds at f16(meter recommended 6 seconds)

Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< Failing to find exposure compensation while in aperture priority mode ... >>

No idea if this is still the case, but ...
Half press shutter to display v/finder info (if not already there)
Then just rotate main (knurled) command wheel on back of cam to suit - eyeballing exp comp scale in v/finder.

(Can set to 1/2 or 1/3 steps, btw via custom functions)

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Larry,

I am finding as much enjoyment looking at this photograph as you must of had in taking it. You seem to have sorted out that 10D nicely.

What you have captured here is special.

The long reaching 'arm' of the frond, the partially open 'hand' at the end, and the balance the recently opened segment brings to this photograph are reminiscent of Karl Blossfeldt.

They are my first thoughts. Love it!

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

puzzledpaul wrote:<< Failing to find exposure compensation while in aperture priority mode ... >>

No idea if this is still the case, but ...
Half press shutter to display v/finder info (if not already there)
Then just rotate main (knurled) command wheel on back of cam to suit - eyeballing exp comp scale in v/finder.

(Can set to 1/2 or 1/3 steps, btw via custom functions)

pp
Ah spot on there, thanks for that(I just tried it,I'll know better next time!)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

augusthouse wrote:Larry,

I am finding as much enjoyment looking at this photograph as you must of had in taking it. You seem to have sorted out that 10D nicely.

What you have captured here is special.

The long reaching 'arm' of the frond, the partially open 'hand' at the end, and the balance the recently opened segment brings to this photograph are reminiscent of Karl Blossfeldt.

They are my first thoughts. Love it!

Craig
Wow thanks Craig, being compared to Blossfeldt means a lot as I studied his work at college!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic