Deadly Pastels

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Deadly Pastels

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Closeup of an eyelash viper--As the name would make you expect, this little guy is quite poisonous. Fortunately for me, he's safely behind glass in the zoo!

About .5x
180mm macro
flash lighting only
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

P_T

Post by P_T »

Wow, that's awesome! It's one of those animals that you know is dangerous just by looking at it.

Btw... I assume you're using Canon's 180mm L macro lens? How is it when being used as a telephoto lens?

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

P_T wrote: Btw... I assume you're using Canon's 180mm L macro lens? How is it when being used as a telephoto lens?
Yep, this is the Canon 180. I find it very very sharp at macro/closeup distances, and autofocus is very precise at those distances, as long as you are satisfied with it focusing on the lighted sensor.

When used at long distances as a more normal telephoto lens, it is competently sharp, but no big deal. Autofocus is agonizingly slow, even if you use the range limiter to block out close focusing distances. Don't even think of trying to use it for action shots!

At non-macro distances, it is comparable image quality to my 100-400L zoom at the same focal length setting (though I think I have a pretty good copy of that lens). My 300/2.8L and even my lowly $80 50/1.8 put the 180L to shame in terms of sharpness, contrast, and "popping" at normal photography ranges. Admittedly, they are VERY good-quality lenses, though!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic