www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Deadly Pastels
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Deadly Pastels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Deadly Pastels Reply with quote

Closeup of an eyelash viper--As the name would make you expect, this little guy is quite poisonous. Fortunately for me, he's safely behind glass in the zoo!

About .5x
180mm macro
flash lighting only

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
P_T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's awesome! It's one of those animals that you know is dangerous just by looking at it.

Btw... I assume you're using Canon's 180mm L macro lens? How is it when being used as a telephoto lens?
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_T wrote:

Btw... I assume you're using Canon's 180mm L macro lens? How is it when being used as a telephoto lens?

Yep, this is the Canon 180. I find it very very sharp at macro/closeup distances, and autofocus is very precise at those distances, as long as you are satisfied with it focusing on the lighted sensor.

When used at long distances as a more normal telephoto lens, it is competently sharp, but no big deal. Autofocus is agonizingly slow, even if you use the range limiter to block out close focusing distances. Don't even think of trying to use it for action shots!

At non-macro distances, it is comparable image quality to my 100-400L zoom at the same focal length setting (though I think I have a pretty good copy of that lens). My 300/2.8L and even my lowly $80 50/1.8 put the 180L to shame in terms of sharpness, contrast, and "popping" at normal photography ranges. Admittedly, they are VERY good-quality lenses, though!

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: