www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Sweat bee
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sweat bee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmillard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Sweat bee Reply with quote

Nikon CF N Plan Achro 4/0.13, 40 images stacked in HF

This is the head (a little over 3mm between antennae tips) of Agapostemon texanus, a fairly common halictid bee here. The purple background is a transilluminated petal of the passionflower upon which it was feeding when I captured it. The image suffers a little from stacking artifacts - I'm still working on that aspect Confused
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good from here! Very Happy

What sorts of artifacts are bothering you?

--Rik
dmillard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
Looks pretty good from here! Very Happy

What sorts of artifacts are bothering you?

--Rik

Thanks Rik -

I was able to remove a lot of halos around the perimeter of the head with PS, but can't address the internal ones very well. I think they contribute to an overall loss of resolution; e.g., I can see see clear branching of the setae in the individual image slices, but lose a lot of this detail in the stacked image.

David
nto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find enjoyable image, perhaps find fault is higher background brightness antennas, antennas for better lighting would have better balanced final result, are only subtleties, image and beautiful!!
dmillard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nto wrote:
I find enjoyable image, perhaps find fault is higher background brightness antennas, antennas for better lighting would have better balanced final result, are only subtleties, image and beautiful!!

Thanks Antonio,

I agree - the backround does compete with the head. The image would have been improved if it had received about 1 stop less light, either by moving the backlight farther away, or masking it with a neutral gensity gel.

David
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmillard wrote:
...halos...

I wonder if you've tried TuFuse? Sometimes it has less trouble with halo than HF does.

--Rik
P_T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject itself is nicely shot but I'm not sure about the colour of the background. It seems to clash with the green/blue of the head rather than complement it.
lauriek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically nice capture but somehow I don't like the entirely disembodied head look. Was the head actually detached? Stack looks fine to me at this size!
dmillard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
dmillard wrote:
...halos...

I wonder if you've tried TuFuse? Sometimes it has less trouble with halo than HF does.

--Rik

I agree Rik - TuFuse looks very attractive. However I doubt a version will be developed to run on a Mac. I either need to upgrade my Power Mac G5 to an Intel version so that I can run Windows on Parallels or BootCamp, or buy a machine that runs Windows native.

Quote:
The subject itself is nicely shot but I'm not sure about the colour of the background. It seems to clash with the green/blue of the head rather than complement it.

You're right P_T, the idea was more attractive than the outcome.

Quote:
Technically nice capture but somehow I don't like the entirely disembodied head look. Was the head actually detached?

Thanks Laurie. The detached head is a bit disconcerting; it brings to mind scenes from the French Revolution. The head accidentally became separated when I was attempting to position the bee in front of the lens, so I thought I would photograph it independently to see how it looked. This particular bee is so beautiful I think I'm going to make more attempts with another specimen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: