www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - 100% Crop
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
100% Crop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveW

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: 100% Crop Reply with quote

The term 100% crop has always puzzled me since if you cut away 100% of something there is nothing left! So I searched the web to find the answer and found this:-

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/100_crop_

As he says it seems to be a bit of a misnomer, but to me I would disagree with his first statement that if you cropped away 100% of an image you would still have the full image, a 0% crop would have been a more descriptive term as you are not cropping anything away! A full resolution section or crop would have been more descriptive terminology for a section of the full image, with the percentage of cropping referring to how much of the original image had been removed?

Dave Whiteley
puzzledpaul

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< with the percentage of cropping referring to how much of the original image had been removed >>

Well, imo this is also (often) stated in an ambiguous manner, since it rarely stipulates whether it refers to area or linear.

eg if someone says 'it's a 60% crop', do they mean -

They've thown away 60% (by area) - as you suggest - of the pixels or kept 60% (by area)

or ... thrown away / kept an area that is associated with (the product of) 60 / 40% of both dimensions?

Since (in this case) there's a nearly 4:1 ratio of original image area that still remains (16% : 60%) - it's a bit 'hazy' Smile

I tend to state pixel dimns of the orig and crop - then all necessary info is available to the viewer - if they're interested / bothered Smile

pp
lauriek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the phrase means a crop of the original image small enough to show on screen such that 1 pixel in the original image is 1 pixel on screen. I.e. the onscreen crop shows all the detail in the (section of the) original shot at full size.

Although I can see how it could be read differently! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: