Fluorescent Septarian Nodule

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Fluorescent Septarian Nodule

Post by Smokedaddy »

Septarian nodule specimens are found in Utah approximately 20 to 40 feet below the surface. Septarians were formed 50 to 70 million years ago when The Gulf of Mexico extended up to what is now the Central United States. So decomposing shell and sea life on the ocean floor had a chemical attraction for the sediment around them, forming concretions (a compact mass of matter). As the oceans receded, the rolling action of the waves resulted in the formation of nodules, that were eventually buried in the mud. As the balls dried and cracked , mineralized solutions, carried by ground water, were deposited into the cracks forming aragonite and golden yellow calcite. The gray mineral is fossilized mud or limestone. I'll post an image later showing what it looks like not exposed to UV light.

I haven't photographed fluorescent minerals before. This was shot with two longwave UV lights (wavelength of 320 nm) and my old Panasonic GH3. I thought it turned out well considering my lack of experience shooting in UV. I thought the patterns were very interesting. The illumination on the right was intentional (or lack of).

A larger version is here;

https://squattingdog.smugmug.com/My-Fir ... -R9KGxdn/A

-JW:

jpringle

nodule

Post by jpringle »

Nice specimen, and it looks like your technique worked quite well. Never heard of these. Thanks for sharing. Jamie

Saul

Post by Saul »

James, very impressive ! Never seen before.
Saul
μ-stuff

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very interesting and very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Those colour are lovely. Great work.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I read about fluorescent minerals years ago but never considered photographing one. I like the cut and polished ones better from a photographed perspective.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very beautiful, and with an interesting story behind it. Did you have to use a UV filter on your lens?

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Lou Jost wrote:Very beautiful, and with an interesting story behind it. Did you have to use a UV filter on your lens?
Thanks LJ ... no, I didn't even attempt it. I would love to find an affordable shortwave UV light because SOME (not all) fluorescent minerals illuminate totally different with SW UV. I was told by the rock hounds that Midnight Minerals, or Engenious Designs (thats how they spell it) are the best sources for SW lights but they are way out of my price range.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Here is another. I have two different ones, both are polished. A larger image link is below. Not sure that I like the lighting on this shot.

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gal ... 165-X3.jpg

-JW:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic