Lithium Chloride, Magnesium Sulphate and Tryptophan

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

flyer2o12

Lithium Chloride, Magnesium Sulphate and Tryptophan

Post by flyer2o12 »

Hi all,

Sharing some polarised light imagery. The files size limit on this forum is very limited and files have to be reduced to the bare minimum or cannot be uploaded at all.

Would love to hear your feedback.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are lovely! #3 reminds me of some spectacular cosmic event.

Root cause of the file size limit on this forum is an interaction between economics and style. If we plastered advertisements all over our pages, or collected and sold personal information, or charged fees for membership, or found some particularly wealthy patron(s) to fund a more expensive for-loss activity, then presumably we could increase or remove the limits. But the founders of the forum decided to go a different route, back in 2004. So far their approach has proved pretty robust, and even though all those individuals have moved on, we're continuing their approach.

The usual approach for posting larger images is to use some other hosting facility, such as Flickr, and link to that. PhotoBucket used to be popular, until they started charging for what was earlier a free service. Flickr still has free accounts with pretty large limits, funded by advertisements on every page.

--Rik

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Very nice set.
Thanks for sharing .

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

rjlittlefield wrote:These are lovely! #3 reminds me of some spectacular cosmic event.

Root cause of the file size limit on this forum is an interaction between economics and style. If we plastered advertisements all over our pages, or collected and sold personal information, or charged fees for membership, or found some particularly wealthy patron(s) to fund a more expensive for-loss activity, then presumably we could increase or remove the limits. But the founders of the forum decided to go a different route, back in 2004. So far their approach has proved pretty robust, and even though all those individuals have moved on, we're continuing their approach.

The usual approach for posting larger images is to use some other hosting facility, such as Flickr, and link to that. PhotoBucket used to be popular, until they started charging for what was earlier a free service. Flickr still has free accounts with pretty large limits, funded by advertisements on every page.

--Rik
Hi Rik, yes it remind me of a supernova, and captioned it as this in my gallery.

There were some images that I could not upload due to file size. I scaled all of the images to the same image size and still some greatly exceeded file size. Upon reducing them further, the resolution would be too bad to upload. How can one link an external page, but have the image show in the post?

Thanks!

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Are you asking for feedback on the forum or your images?

For the forum, if the people who run the site open up some kind of patreon account and plaster ads (or G.. forbid, run a miner, sell user data), I guess the limits can be pulled. I'm sure it will hinder the user experience. Another way would be selling t-shirts... but how, it's such a niche already. I think it's good as it is.

Register a flickr account. You have 500 free uploads. You can link the 100% resolution image, it is found in the "BB code" under share. It's the second long link I believe; it should be easy to figure out.

Link it, don't just paste the entire code, admins will have to resize it. Linked photos must be below 1600 pixels.

For your photos, how did you light them? I use transillumination (back lighting), I don't see the same haloing. Besides that, I like those XPL photos.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

flyer2o12 wrote:I scaled all of the images to the same image size and still some greatly exceeded file size. Upon reducing them further, the resolution would be too bad to upload.
The best method for fitting images into the forum limits is to leave the image size at 1024 pixels, and reduce the JPEG compression quality as required to get 300 KB file length.

For the same number of bits, much more detail is preserved with a high pixel count and more compression, versus a lower pixel count and less compression.

With Photoshop, it also helps to use File > Export > "Save for Web (Legacy)" because this also strips EXIF information.

Images with particularly rapid changes of color can benefit from being saved by Irfanview with Set File Size to 300 KB and "Disable chroma color subsampling (use 1x1 blocks)". This will emphasize preserving color over edge sharpness.
How can one link an external page, but have the image show in the post?
Any common image format (.jpg, .tif, .png, .gif) will display inline if the URL is wrapped in Image tags.

One caveat: a few hosting services do not allow this sort of "hot linking" and will refuse to provide the image. I cannot think of any examples at this moment.

A larger concern: the forum software will always adjust the logical page width to match the image size, not the reverse. If an image displayed inline gets too large, then the page width will exceed readers' monitor sizes, which then means that affected users cannot read paragraphs of text without scrolling or scaling. The threshold is different for different monitors and different system settings. Roughly speaking, anything over 1600 pixels wide will cause problems for some people.

Here is the header from your website (1113 KB, 1170 x 500 pixels, .png format), hot-linked here via

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.kgaffphotography.com/images/Untitled-1.png[/img]

--Rik

Robert Berdan

nice images

Post by Robert Berdan »

Beautiful photos nice work.
RB

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic