Searching AC power adapter for Canon 400D/XTi

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

Searching AC power adapter for Canon 400D/XTi

Post by Planapo »

Hi folks,

there are two Canon AC power adapters available for the 400D (aka Rebel XTi) but 60 Euro :smt017 for a transformer and battery dummy (for the contacts) isn´t quite a bargain, and other accessories are adding up too. :roll:

Consequently, I have been searching the net for alternatives for the original Canon power adapters (ACK-DC20, ACK-700) which found me only a transformer but no battery dummy.

Hence, I wanted to ask if anybody of you happens to know of any alternatives for the original Canon power adapter? Or should I, for safety reasons maybe, stick to the overpriced Canon parts?

Much obliged in advance for any help or thoughts.

Cheers,
Betty

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Betty - entering either of those items, followed by 'equivalent' in google produced various cheaper possibilities - one place had each @ $27.50 (+pp)

Presumably you want one of these because you want to do some stacking?

Don't know how many shots you get with a fully charged batt on a 400D - or where the stacking v 'normal' photography balance lies - but would getting extra 'extra' batteries for normal use and not buying an adapter be one option?

I'd probably cannabalise a duff battery and rig it up to a (stabilised) psu - but you've prob. not got access to such items ?

pp

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Betty,

Over here the Canon ACK-DC20 is $48.00. I have one constantly plugged into my microscope camera. If you have a "permanent" indoor camera setup it is great. But if you use the camera outdoors you should have a spare battery or two anyway, and should be able to work OK without the adapter.

But I came across at least one non-Canon substitute:

http://www.bestbatt.com/Canon_ACK700_AC ... ack700.htm

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I do not have an AC adapter. Since I backpack, I just bought a couple of spare batteries from Adorama (their generics, not brand-name Canons) and I swap one in whenever the indicator gets down about half-way. It would surely spoil a stack to run out in the middle.

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks boys for your help!

I will follow your advice and first try how far I can get on batteries only. And in case I need a power adapter I now know where to find one, and that 'equivalent' and 'generic' are the magic words. :wink: :D

Thanks again,
Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic