To photograph 8mm cine 4.5x3.3 frame, which Microscope lens?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MartinS

Post by MartinS »

JKT
One option for lenses could theoretically be Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S 80mm f/4 reversed. It would be far enough from film for 8mm and has small enough diameter for 16mm. The shorter ones won't fit
Thanks for the suggestion, there seems to be some maths going on there....I'll have to study that.

My feeling now is to try and move away from the DSLR to a machine vision camera but i'm not sure what software there is to control the camera, and suppliers seem to be shut down at present....Covid?

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

Search for post by Frank Vine on filmshooting.com (best use google). he was developing software for machine vision cameras and exchanged a lot of ideas with Fred and me there some years back.

From my experience a machine vision camera is preferable because you can achieve much higher transfer speed. Even 10years ago it was pretty affordable to go 24fps at 1.5K resolution, these days I‘d probably go for about 2K for super8 and 3K for super16 film.

Haven‘t looked at the current offering of cameras, but something like a 2/3“ to 1“ sensor should be a good match (or 1/2“ if you want something a bit cheaper). Look for one with high dynamic range (sony usually had some of the best, probably still true). Point Grey Flea used to be a good price performance ratio, or IMI if your budget is really tight. USB3 is probably still the most compatible connection.
Most manufacturer make their own software but we used ActiveDcam since it allowed to use cameras from different manufacturer.

So much for a very brief rundown, it takes a bit of effort to make everything work but the triggering capabilities are way better then anything you can du with a photo camera.
chris

MartinS

Post by MartinS »

chris_ma
Search for post by Frank Vine on filmshooting.com (best use google). he was developing software for machine vision cameras and exchanged a lot of ideas with Fred and me there some years back
I bumped into Frank's website some while ago which prompted my trial using the arduino controled projector and DSLR.

Since then I have been studying VideoFred's AVISynth scripts and am very impressed on their abilities to clean, steady and correct the captured cine.

Until "lockdown" I was discussing with Flir, the Blackfly USB 3 MV camera (I am advised better than the Flea) and C mount lens.

Capture and control software is the gap that needs filling.
Most manufacturer make their own software but we used ActiveDcam since it allowed to use cameras from different manufacturer.
I have looked at his D2D capture software but it needs the ActiveDcam drivers. I tried to download them but Kaspersky did not like the site and when pushed into a download confiscated a file or two complaing about a "Trojan virus". So for now I'm leaving that one alone!

I'll see what Flir suggest with their Spinnaker software.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic