Adding a drawing tube to my OMAX M83EZ

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

heelsplitter

Adding a drawing tube to my OMAX M83EZ

Post by heelsplitter »

I've been using an OMAX M83EZ for fungal microscopy for a while now, and for the most part, it's been a satisfactory microscope. However, at this point, I could really use a drawing tube to prepare illustrations of microscopic structures for publications. I would prefer not to buy another microscope to do this if I could just add a drawing tube to my current microscope.

I'm not aware of any drawing tubes specifically made for OMAX microscopes and was wondering if anyone here knew if drawing tubes for other microscope brands would be compatible with mine. I've found drawing tubes for Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss and Leitz microscopes on eBay that are within my budget but am unsure what of those, if any, would be compatible with my OMAX. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Also, any general advice on modifying the OMAX M83EZ.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Not to ask too dumb a question, but is your reason for choosing a drawing tube more artistic/recreational or more utilitarian? It's probably not the most practical approach to creating illustrations these days.

heelsplitter

Post by heelsplitter »

More utilitarian, but also somewhat due to personal preferences. I'd be using it to make schematic diagrams of microscopic structures of fungi. Drawing tubes are still widely used in mycology for this.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

I'm also a big fan of drawing tubes (got the ones from Zeiss West, Lomo, Leitz, Zeiss Stereo, Wild M5 and Jenamed). I previously had the tube for Zeiss West Standard microscopes (47 46 20) converted to Zeiss Jena (Eduval) by exchanging the dovetail on the drawing tube. Worked OK-ish, the tube length wasn't perfectly preserved.

To evaluate your options, you need to find the exact measurements of the OMAX dovetails and how the OMAX tube length is split between stand and binoculars (Zeiss West split, for example, is 40mm+120mm).

However, the Zeiss West drawing tube is a real beauty. Excellently designed, with tube factor 1x, focussing function and variable magnification. It's utility is second only to the Jenamed version. It's also affordable, sometimes below $100. It's worth getting a Zeiss Standard microscope just for being able to use the drawing tube! You could still use your old objectives and eyepieces on the Zeiss.

Regards, Ichty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic