High-End 1X Lens Test Online

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

lothman wrote:very wobbly setup so there might be improvement.
the FE90/2,8 (@2,8 Center 1:1, on A7 Riv) without and with 16 shot pixelshift on an USAF Target. So group7/3 is around 160 lp/mm if I read correct.
Interesting, thanks for the images.
I‘m not sure I would call the 7/3 pattern resolved though. I‘ve been looking for an affordable USAF target for a while, where did you get yours from?
Chris

PS: On the lens rental blog they demand a MTF of at least 30% to call it meaningful resolution.
They tested the sony 90G at 63% for 50lp/mm at 0.5x macro. They didn‘t test it higher, but the best lenses tested around 58% for 120lp/mm, which gave 37% at 200lp/mm.
Short story, extrapolating from this, I‘d estimate the Sony 90G around 100-120lp/mm at 30% (and lower on real world sensors)

links:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/0 ... ro-lenses/

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/1 ... periments/

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

chris_ma wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:. I noticed the distortion when I was flipping through the crops, some like the PN and SN look nice, some are twisted a bit. You never notice things like that shooting in real life thats the interesting part but I agree.
I imagine for archival documentation of objects or coin photography it might be an issue - but then again even with the slight resolution loss of correcting it with the proper lens profile it would easily outperform most macro lenses.

Btw, not sure if I missed it somewhere, but just to confirm: the samples of the 70mm Art were at F2.8 ?

Chris
Full-coin photography is actually very forgiving of corner performance and distortion. 99.9% of coins are round, so they don't suffer very much from common distortions, nor do they care about corners, or usually even edges if the coin is not completely filling the sensor height.

One area where distortion is a big problem is in stitching panoramas, where it will force large overlaps to minimize stitching errors, or cause resolution problems when the software attempts to compensate.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Heck of lot of work Robert, well done!. A few surprises for sure.
Oh and Happy New Year!
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice demonstration Lothman! Wish I had a micro version of that chart. Probably worth the investment.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:

Straight, single images Ray, no pixel-shift.

Thanks for the comments.

Best,

Robert
Thanks for confirming.

A couple more comments...

I think the Scanner-Nikkor is probably not optimized for 1x, but am not sure what the best magnification would be. I have planned to do a mag sweep with it for some time, waiting only for the time when I purchase a FF camera I am happy with. Will happen some day.

Regarding the Lomo 100mm, indeed my earlier 100mm shootout placed it in "middle of pack" performance at ~0.7x. It is supposedly rated for higher mags (3x IIRC) and I also plan to test it along with the 105IXL3p5, the RF3p5, and perhaps some others still TBD when I complete the 3.5x system. Again, some day soon I hope.

Further note regarding the 100mm is that sample variation is high among the ones I've worked with. I'm curious how bad yours performed, and if really bad it might be a problem with your sample.

Happy New Year to you, and thanks again for all the work you do on these tests. Your website is a constant reference.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:. I noticed the distortion when I was flipping through the crops, some like the PN and SN look nice, some are twisted a bit. You never notice things like that shooting in real life thats the interesting part but I agree.
I imagine for archival documentation of objects or coin photography it might be an issue - but then again even with the slight resolution loss of correcting it with the proper lens profile it would easily outperform most macro lenses.

Btw, not sure if I missed it somewhere, but just to confirm: the samples of the 70mm Art were at F2.8 ?

Chris
Hi Chris,

The 70 Art was best at f/4 so I included shot at that aperture.

Happy new year!

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
I think the Scanner-Nikkor is probably not optimized for 1x, but am not sure what the best magnification would be. I have planned to do a mag sweep with it for some time, waiting only for the time when I purchase a FF camera I am happy with. Will happen some day.
I was planning to do that same at some point with the PN105A and the SN100. I've shot the SN at 1.1x and it seemed to be a little better than 1x in the corners. Higher might be even better.
Regarding the Lomo 100mm, indeed my earlier 100mm shootout placed it in "middle of pack" performance at ~0.7x. It is supposedly rated for higher mags (3x IIRC) and I also plan to test it along with the 105IXL3p5, the RF3p5, and perhaps some others still TBD when I complete the 3.5x system. Again, some day soon I hope.

Further note regarding the 100mm is that sample variation is high among the ones I've worked with. I'm curious how bad yours performed, and if really bad it might be a problem with your sample.
I think you might be right. I tried it as a tube lens first and the performance was pretty poor, lots of CAs. The lens looks almost mint but I try not to let cosmetics influence me when it comes to performance. I bought a Mitutoyo M Plan 50x for $100 with a chip in the front glass. I compared it to my own 50X with perfect glass. Wouldn't you know it, the $100 optic beat my "Good" lens? :shock:

Happy New Year to you, and thanks again for all the work you do on these tests. Your website is a constant reference.

Glad to hear someone is using it :D

All the best for the new year Ray.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Razor blades are pretty good tools for MTF testing, instead of an expensive proper slanted edge target or USAF target.

https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/01/31/ ... -mtf-test/
My workplace use these.

Here's more information for ones who want to dwell deeper, by order.
Reproducible MTF testing: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/t ... -protocol/
Vibration issues: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/m ... vibration/
Lighting: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/m ... vibration/
Macro MTF: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/t ... -protocol/

And the author did an off-axis MTF test on the Sony 90mm: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/o ... ony-902-8/

lothman

Post by lothman »

chris_ma wrote:Interesting, thanks for the images.
I‘m not sure I would call the 7/3 pattern resolved though. I‘ve been looking for an affordable USAF target for a while, where did you get yours from?
Chris
It is chrome on glass target, got it from eBay for around 80$
like here or here

on the bottom there is an array of the finest patterns in case one of the fine arrays did not come out very well. These can be used for higher magnification.

typestar

Happy NEW YEAR & more

Post by typestar »

Dear Robert,

First: Happy New year and all the best! (& to all the members here)

Thankyou Robert for all the new 1x testings!

Its interesting to see how well the Nikon Scanner lens behaves!
(and disappointing to see the poor results of some of the "famous" lenses)

Great to have all this references again in that detailed manner...

All the best again!

Christian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic