Photography through acrylic

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlexC

Photography through acrylic

Post by AlexC »

I've recently gotten my hands on some very, very interesting specimen, in fact to rare to resist to photograph (fabric from steve jobs turtleneck, crinoid, megaldon tooth, etc.)

I understand shooting through acrylic could pose some issues, if any of you have some tips, and/or what I should do to get best image, I would appreciate it. Cheers!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Some problems of shooting through a medium are covered in my posts on shooting through water, see especially:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=

How thick is the acrylic and especially, how far behind the acrylic is the specimen? And what magnification and NA are you using?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The acrylic is an inch deep, and the specimen is exactly placed halfway. I think I'm going to use my Laowa 25mm 2.8 to shoot these. Thank you for the post I'll head over and read it.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

If you close down to f/4 or more you will probably be alright. That lens is best at close to 2.8 so you will lose a bit of sharpness, but you might escape most of the thick-medium aberrations associated with wide apertures.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic