Re sizing an image

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroB

Re sizing an image

Post by MacroB »

Christmas Greeting to All!

I wonder if someone can tell me how best to enlarge an image without showing the pixels. I use a BH2 microscope with D Plan objectives except for the 10x which is S Plan Apo plus a Canon EOS 50D so 15MBs.

Since art is my concern the enclosed crystals have been Photoshopped heavily with Curves. Only then did I decide on a crop. Both will blow-up to my usual size of A3 but would like to enlarge the crop still more.

Have tried Photozoom Pro 7 but that does not seem any better than Photoshop.

I know a camera with more MBs will not squeeze anymore sharpness thro those objectives but am wondering if, once the photo is shot might the extra MBs effect any improvement?? Best wishes, Bob

Perhaps some fine soul has another idea? There has got to be some way us micro fans can produce a large scale exhibit.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I exclusively use a 50D as well. You might find this old posting interesting since the same camera, meaning a Canon 50D, is being discussed along with its maximum print size capabilities.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/350343590 ... 680841881/

https://luminous-landscape.com/dq/

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I know a camera with more MBs will not squeeze anymore sharpness thro those objectives
That's not necessarily true; it depends on the NA, which you didn't mention. More megapixels might indeed be able to provide more detail.

The issue of pixelation is separate, and I think Photoshop does a pretty good job of enlarging an image onto a canvas with more pixels; just choose your enlargement method well.

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Try Topaz Gigpaixel AI.

It has a 14 day free trial period to see if works for you.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I haven't used the following method in some years, so perhaps by now it's obsolete. But it used to work well, as suggested in a book by Bruce Kelby: In Photoshop, instead of making a massive enlargement in one step, do it as a series of enlargements of about ten percent each time (using Image>Image size, and simply increasing the width/height with the resample box checked).

This obviously doesn't create any information that wasn't there before. But it does do a nice job of spreading the existing information over additional pixels. In the past, I've made some largish prints this way.

--Chris S.

MacroB

Re sizing an image

Post by MacroB »

Greetinga All!

Many thanks for your suggestions and info.

Chris S. Have tried the Bruce Kelby method and enlarged it to A1 with quite good results. Will have a closer look in daylight tomorrow.

Lou Jost The 4x D Plan has a NA of 0.10 while the 10x S Plan Apo has a NA of
0.40. Unfortunately I did not know I would want to crop and enlarge the Photoshopped image or I would have either shot with the 10x Apo or taken a screen shot of the exact positions in Curves. Have tried to replicate but almost imposs!

Intriqued by your "not necessarily". How might more MB gather more sharpness??
Best wishes,
Bob

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The NA determines resolution, so with a high enough NA, a higher-megapixel sensor will provide a higher-resolution image.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic