Tiny junkman

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Tiny junkman

Post by leonardturner »

This little creature was found perambulating vigorously but erratically on a ledge in our kitchen; at first I thought it to be a tiny spider hauling off prey, and determined to try to get a usable impromptu photograph to see what was going on.

Initially frustrated because of its determination to move without pause, I finally resorted to letting it walk on a finger of my left hand while operating my camera with my right. The images were adequate to reveal a larval form of the graceful lacewing, known to camouflage itself with the remains of previous victims. The pincers seen in the frontal view are hollow, and are used to remove nutrients from victims of these merciless little hunters. It has been suggested that they sometimes use them, perhaps aggressively, against humans, but my specimen was entirely too tiny to be a threat. After pursuing his endless march for a time, he fell off my finger and I was unable to subsequently locate him.

Not exactly a studio shot, but he came to me rather than the other way around!

Leonard

_DSC6511WDen.jpg
_DSC6517WDen.jpg

Lou Jost

Re: Tiny junkman

Post by Lou Jost »

Wonderful! That little guy has quite a few big trophies. It must be proud.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

This is a species of lacewing larva that carries debris for concealment.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Billy B

Post by Billy B »

Nice photos Mark. Reminds me of the Caddis Fly larva I use to use when trout fishing. They would encrust themselves with sand and bits of pine needle. Inside was the little grub that trout loved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic