COB Ringlight

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

COB Ringlight

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've been searching for a while for a COB ringlight smaller than the smallest Angel Eyes, but bigger than the UltraFire, and finally found one! The light below has 36.5mm OD (which could be reduced to as low as 32.5mm or even smaller with a tab for the contacts), and 17mm ID (which could be increased to maybe 20mm). Color Temp is ~6400K.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Very promising Ray, thanks for posting.

Do you have a purchase link or product description please?

Thanks

John

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dolmadis wrote:Very promising Ray, thanks for posting.

Do you have a purchase link or product description please?

Thanks

John
Yes indeed...this came out of a 3-mode LED head lamp from Amazon. I have some other types coming from eBay as well. Not sure if they are the same or larger/smaller. They obviously don't give the specs of things like ringlight diameter for the integrated product. Here's the link to Amazon product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MY477BQ

The small LED with focusing reflector is also very useful.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks Ray. Hopefully somebody will chance on the stockist of just the ring light in their browsing.

BR

John

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dolmadis wrote:Thanks Ray. Hopefully somebody will chance on the stockist of just the ring light in their browsing.

BR

John
Judging from the price I paid for similar component ringlight, it's probably more economical to purchase these in headlamp form and scavenge the parts.

FYI, the 3rd mode is a red blinking LED that comes from the ringlight. It looks like some % of the LEDs are red. This might be useful for other applications.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

I can only get one of those from the US and I am in the UK.

Will keep looking.

BR

John

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Here's an example from eBay that looks the same. Hong Kong seller so presumably available in UK.

Outdoor COB LED Mini Headlamp 3 Modes Headlight AAA Battery Powered Head Torches
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-COB-LE ... 3904364812

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Does not ship to the UK but I will look around. Many thanks for the link.

BR

John

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Found one. Cheers Ray.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dolmadis wrote:Found one. Cheers Ray.
Excellent...can you send the link?

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

grgh

Post by grgh »

Be interesting to see how you get on with that feedback,
looks ok but ill pass.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I just received a different LED headlight from China which also has a COB ringlight. This one is a little harder to adapt since the wires come out on the inside. The actual ringlight has 26mm ID and 37mm OD and can be cut down on the OD right to the edge of the phosphor dam. Probably with some work the contacts can be opened up within the phosphor so the full ID can be achieved. As-is there are tabs at 19mm diameter so if that works mechanically there is no need to do modifications. If anyone is interested in seeing pics and links let me know.

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

There are other small COB ring light sources, such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Carabiner ... SwqYRctcOA
It has only 6 light sources and probably gives tiny amount of light.
But here is more serious stuff in different sizes starting from 30mm o.d.: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305245 ... b201603_53
Ray was the first one to pull a trigger, I have ordered few of those. Lately it takes more than a month to get stuff from China so don't hold your breath...
All things are number - Pythagoras

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Miljenko wrote:There are other small COB ring light sources, such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Carabiner ... SwqYRctcOA
It has only 6 light sources and probably gives tiny amount of light.
But here is more serious stuff in different sizes starting from 30mm o.d.: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305245 ... b201603_53
Ray was the first one to pull a trigger, I have ordered few of those. Lately it takes more than a month to get stuff from China so don't hold your breath...
Excellent! That 30mm on AliExpress looks great. I ordered some, though as you say, they may take a while to get here. They look similar to the Angel Eyes I've been using for a while, but the smallest of those is 40mm OD.

They don't give the dimensions but from the pic I added dimensions below. Looks like the ID with the extra mechanical metal is 18mm, or 20mm once the inner metal is removed, same as the one I show above. The annular phosphor ring is much narrower (3mm vs 6mm for the one above), so the OD can be smaller for same ID. Looks like it will work well.

Similar to the Ultrafire, they provide contacts both on the inside and outside so you have flexibility in the application. My experience with the UltraFire is that the base metal can be removed, and does not result in shorting of the contacts to each other or to the base metal. The dielectrics are thick and tough enough to be worked with in this way. Hopefully this one is similar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic