Earning a living from microscopy

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Paul Dowrick

Earning a living from microscopy

Post by Paul Dowrick »

Morning All,

Sadly my wife of 36 years died a while back, and the business that we started together is difficult for me to run alone. Both emotionally and technically.

I have been a hobby microscopist for many years and have very good equipment - Olympus BX53, Leica S8APO, Nikon z7 etc.

I now feel it is time to move on in my life (daughter is about to go to University). Do you think it is possible to make a living as an independent microscopist?

I am happy to invest in more equipment, and am not routed in one field of expertise.

Paul

Paul Dowrick

Post by Paul Dowrick »

I am not sure whether to take the absence of an answer as

1: Hell yes, but do not tell anyone under any circumstance

or

2: No way, but let's not upset the poor fool.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Paul,

It may be difficult to earn living from microscopy alone, though you may combine it with nature photography, scientific photography, mineralogy, petrographic microscopy, or even boy scouts kind of activities / scientific after-school program?

At least two other forum members earns part of their living from microscopy, you may want to ask them:

https://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/

http://mismicrophoto.com/about-me/

I read a while ago that photographers are, in general, poorly paid. However, there are success stories of highly motivated and dedicated photographers.

Paul Dowrick

Post by Paul Dowrick »

thankyou very much

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Maybe also take a look at the broader and more popular direction: nature photography. See how people are making a living out of that.

I would highly appreciate it, if you can report back your findings. I believe some forum members have considered this option, but have never really started it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic