Shutter Settings in Wemacro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:This looks good to me. I'm not seeing any signs of motion blur or unpleasant optical aberrations.
I'm not sure: the hair highlights seem to show a cross shaped pattern; if it is not present at the subject as I suspect it would be indicative of an optical aberration combined with the stacking process: astigmatism (or maybe coma)

What is the optical setup?
The objective seems a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo, is it? What tube lens? In which position?....
Canon T4i
Amscope finite 4x objective on bellows
Flashpoint studio strobe

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It might be easier to judge from a better known subject. Something like the laser printing you get on bank statements is quite good. The ink spatters. Sometimes mass shipping labels have a 2D barcode in fine dots to start with, which is also laser printed. I've glued one to a slide.

If you mount the slide on a blob or three of what in the UK is called Blu-tack - soft putty, you can (depending on the objective) run the objective onto the slide to make it parallel to the plane of focus.
At 4x you might get away with one frame, though something like a Lomo has a rather curved field so you need to stack. Then you get those crosses!
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:It might be easier to judge from a better known subject. Something like the laser printing you get on bank statements is quite good. The ink spatters. Sometimes mass shipping labels have a 2D barcode in fine dots to start with, which is also laser printed. I've glued one to a slide.

If you mount the slide on a blob or three of what in the UK is called Blu-tack - soft putty, you can (depending on the objective) run the objective onto the slide to make it parallel to the plane of focus.
At 4x you might get away with one frame, though something like a Lomo has a rather curved field so you need to stack. Then you get those crosses!
Here's print from an apartment management notice, doubtless printed on a laser printer.

Note the haziness in the center. I switched from the bellows to M42 tubes to reduce interference with the subject/stage. Everything else is as before. Am I correct in assuming that's produced by reflection? I have flocking material that I haven't used yet.

I don't have any slides so I did a stack of 75.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Looks like reflection to me, should be ok after you put the flocking material on.
- Rane

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I agree with Rane. Suggest you flock every possible internal surface.

A while back, I suddenly developed a hot spot in the center of images shot with my tube lens assembly. After considerable looking, I discovered that one ring of flocking material, near the camera end of the assembly, had shifted a little bit, exposing a few millimeters of tube. I could not see reflection from this when eyeballing the assembly with a light shining from the front end.

The general idea should be: "Flock relentlessly; flock with a vengeance."

--Chris S.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Chris S. wrote:I agree with Rane. Suggest you flock every possible internal surface.

A while back, I suddenly developed a hot spot in the center of images shot with my tube lens assembly. After considerable looking, I discovered that one ring of flocking material, near the camera end of the assembly, had shifted a little bit, exposing a few millimeters of tube. I could not see reflection from this when eyeballing the assembly with a light shining from the front end.

The general idea should be: "Flock relentlessly; flock with a vengeance."

--Chris S.
Here's the same document with the flocking. Hot spot gone:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic