Insect ID please

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Insect ID please

Post by Olympusman »

This is an insect we haven't seen before in our flower gardens and is making its presence known. About 8.5mm long and flies in short hops. I think it might be a weevil.

Any ideas?

Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Bob-O-Rama

Spotted Lantern Fly - Early Instar

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Hi,

Its a spotted lantern fly "baby" they are black with white spots and start out very tiny ( 1-2 mm ) then get larger. I was shooting other things and found a bunch of them crawling up a cork tree at Muhlenberg College a few weeks back and they were tiny, like lice. The FoV here is about 2mm wide. Kill them now!

Olympusman

Lantern Fly Babies

Post by Olympusman »

Thanks for the ID. We first saw the adults in our area last year and they were everywhere. I notified the state agriculture department to aid in their tracking.
Interestingly, when I prepared two specimens for photography, I heavily dosed both in small jars with ether and thought they were dead after two hours, so I glued pins to them for shooting. After the glue dried I found their free legs were moving, so I nuked them again. Then, while shooting a specimen started moving.
Tough little bugs.
I just the bushes where they are teeming with a mixture of dish detergent and diatomacous earth. The soap might suffocate the scale insects we also have and maybe the diatoms will carve up their insides.

Regards
Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic