Labophot vs labophot 2 field lens diameter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Scarodactyl

Labophot vs labophot 2 field lens diameter

Post by Scarodactyl »

Does anyone know if the diameter of the field lens is dofferent between the labophot and the labophot 2? I have polarizing accessories for a labophot--the top polarizer that slots under the head fits on any of the -phots, but the bottom filter is supposed to sit on the field lens. The field lens on ky alphaphot is too small, but on thr labophot 2 frame I am working on migrating to the field lens seems to be too wide?

(I also have a phase condenser on it, wondering if it is workable to have om there as the general condenser even if I am not aiming to do phase contrast, or if I should aim to get a different one.)

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Labophot vs labophot 2 field lens diameter

Post by Pau »

Scarodactyl wrote:I also have a phase condenser on it, wondering if it is workable to have om there as the general condenser even if I am not aiming to do phase contrast, or if I should aim to get a different one.
All turret phase condensers I know have a bright field position and so are equivalent to BF condensers of the same class, in plus decentering the disc that holds the phase rings, they allow easy oblique illumination and the bigger (higher number) phase rings provide good dark field with low power objectives.

Sorry, I can't answer your first question, although an adapter could allow to mount the polarizer, if you know some one with a 3D printer it would be easy
Pau

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

Both versions of the Labophot will accept 45mm diameter filters on their filed lenses. If you're using the lower simple pol accessory, I would think that the polarizer will fit the Labophot-2.

Cheers,
John

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Thanks!
I'm really glad to hear the normal setting on the phase condenser is good enough for general use--being able to use it for oblique illumination is even nicer. I got it from an estate, along with the polarizer and a circular rotating stage, but he only had labophot-1s as far as I can tell.

I have the set with the slide-in analyzer and first order red compensator (the gouty one). I can't seem to get the bottom to fit over the field lens, though I haven't measured them yet (gotta find my calipers). I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but looking more closely it looks like both the outside of the field lens and the bottom filter are fairly solid plastic, so if it doesn't fit I guess it just doesn't fit.
edit: looks like the ID of the polarizer/analyzer is 55mm, and the field lens is 56mm. I guess they must have changed it--the polarizer is held on with a set screw pushing a sheet of curved metal, so it would have had to slide on fairly easily. Weird for them to make it just about 1mm bigger though :( If anyone has an original labophot and wouldn't mind measuring the field lens I'd be grateful.
I'm not sure if it can be fit with an adapter, since it will likely be too tall to fit under the condenser. I might need to do something a bit less reversible.

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

I have that polariser too, and I can tell you that it fits on my Labophot-2, but doesn't fit on the Optiphot 1 I have. The shape is different.

I am guessing the Labophot 1 and Optiphot 1 shared the same fitting.
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic