Hydrogen-oxygen detonations in soap bubbles, video added

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Linden.g

Hydrogen-oxygen detonations in soap bubbles, video added

Post by Linden.g »

Over the last year I've been exploring Schlieren optics. I built a Z-system out of two Newtonian reflecting telescope mirrors. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater The ability to visualize sound compression waves and gas density is fascinating. The first image shows the flame front from a 2:1 ratio of hydrogen and oxygen detonated inside a 1 inch soap bubble from the left hand side using a Tesla arc. You can see that the soap film has ripped half way across the bubble. The second images is almost at the same point but was donated from the back. The soap film is ripping towards the camera. The motion was stopped using a 500 ns high speed air gap flash. The monochromatic colour is due to a narrow band pass filter to suppress the light from the explosion. Image
Last edited by Linden.g on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

impressive!!!

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Thanks,

A few more closer in showing ripping through the bi-layer and then residue collecting on the opposite side of the detonation point.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Very cool, so this your setup then?

-JW:

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Smokedaddy wrote:Very cool, so this your setup then?

-JW:
Thanks, that's correct. I'm using an 8 inch and 10 inch mirror. The light source is a 500 ns airgap flash and I have a narrow band pass filter on the camera lens.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Great work, Linden. Thank you for sharing. My head is exploding from imagining the complexity and danger of this imaging venture of yours :twisted:

How did you precisely control of amount of hydrogen and oxygen mix, inside a soap bubble? I did not know you can buy those gases as a private individual. Solid rocket power may be easier to buy from Hobby Lobby.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Interesting stuff indeed!!

I suspect the H2 and O2 can be created with simple electrolysis, or just H2 with pool acid (dilute HCL often called Muratic) and Zinc.

Might be electrolysis in soapy water to create the bubble mixtures of H2 and O2.

Very cool setup and images!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

mawyatt wrote:Interesting stuff indeed!!

I suspect the H2 and O2 can be created with simple electrolysis, or just H2 with pool acid (dilute HCL often called Muratic) and Zinc.

Might be electrolysis in soapy water to create the bubble mixtures of H2 and O2.

Very cool setup and images!!

Best,
I'm using a "water torch" electrolysis hydrogen/oxygen generator

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... wow, very nice. Thanks for the links.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic