Introduction photo share

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

aveslux

Introduction photo share

Post by aveslux »

Hi everyone thought I'd introduce myself and some of my photos, this forum is a great source of real practical information for macro photography and I've been lurking for a while.

Common Darter by Aves Lux, on Flickr

7-spot Ladybird by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Pollen 2 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Hope you like them, I always photograph live insects in the field.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The dragonfly in particular is unusual and beautiful.

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

Lou Jost wrote:The dragonfly in particular is unusual and beautiful.
Thanks, I didn't use a flash so was limited for depth of field but I managed to get the face in and then got a nice angle to catch some of the wings, it really showed me that I could get a nice photo even without my flash if the subject was right.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

They are all good pictures. I suppose it was strong but diffused light for the dragonfly. Cloudy days can give amazing results.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

MarkSturtevant wrote:They are all good pictures. I suppose it was strong but diffused light for the dragonfly. Cloudy days can give amazing results.
Yeah one of those good light days that are all too rare, I was once in a coastal fog in Devon, it was bright sunshine and thick fog, the light was perfect, unfortunately no camera on me.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The shallow depth of field worked out really well artistically. The sharp section is perfectly placed.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Very nice images, Aves!

Does the ladybird image have uite some cropping? If so, that image looks great, even after cropping. Your diffusion is pretty good there too!

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

zzffnn wrote:Very nice images, Aves!

Does the ladybird image have uite some cropping? If so, that image looks great, even after cropping. Your diffusion is pretty good there too!
Yeah I'd say all my images have some degree of cropping, i'm currently shooting at 1x 100mm on a APS-C cropping from 24MP on an 80D so I'm cropping so the detail isn't lost when viewed on screen and for composition purposes (slight rotation to straighten that ladybird image up).

Flash diffusion is something that's hard for all macro photographers and I'm still not 100% happy with my field setup having been through a few different flash setups i'm about to try something with a Godox AD200 Strobe.

Flickt also doesn't show the full res, if you download the full res you can see there's more detail than Flickr shows and you need a high res monitor to see 1:1 pixels

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic