The last hemiptera

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

The last hemiptera

Post by Yawns »

The season is practically over for me .. the temperature is now above 30ºC / 86ºF and the green grass, the mauves, the marigolds, ... everything is dry or withered.
After much searching I found only this last Calocoris roseomaculatus .. one hour out for one shot.
I went again during the night and did not find anything but a couple of flies and a wasp's nest... not even a single spider.

This year was very bad. the amount of insects was noticeably less ..
This year I did not find a single tick on my dogs...
every time it rains less... and last summer the temperatures broke records and reached 46ºC / 115ºF in my area..

Image65 Photos - 2019-05-22 - C by antonio caseiro, on Flickr
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very sad to think that in the near future this will be "normal" or even "the good old days". The climate of the recent past will never return.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Nice picture Yawns.

We are closer and closer to the silent spring :cry:
- Rane

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Yawns,

A lovey image you've made here!

Deeply saddening that the climate crisis is destroying so much of what made your part of the world wonderful.

--Chris S.

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hello, something similar happens here. Every time there are less insects .... I live in the environment of a natural park, the Albufera de Valencia and the decrease in recent years seems clear. There are several factors that are mentioned: pesticides, climate change ... but nobody seems to have a clear explanation. Good image. By the way, where do you live?
Ramón Dolz

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

A beautiful image!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

zook

Post by zook »

Scary title, very soon maybe it can be a really the last one.
Here is almost no visible insects (Serbia). Rainy springtime, I did not seen a full sunny day for a three-four past weeks, the temperature is below average, never like this year!
Nice warm colour image!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes, nice image.
I always look around when I'm outside, but I can't remember when I last saw an insect.
In an 86 year lifetime, we can expect an insect decline of 99%. (Germany/27 year rate)

Update!- in 10 mins I saw 1 bumblebee go by at speed, and 1 hoverfly.
Chris R

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Thank you all for the comments..

RDolz .. I'm in Benavente - Portugal, in the center/south of the country ..

I'm very sorry for the alarming title ... This particular year was very bad...it doesn't means the other were good, but...

I was looking for data at the Portuguese Institute of Metereology and such...

Facts:
- We had the 4th driest winter of the century ... only 40% of rain compared to the normal average.
- January, February, March were warmer than expected ...
- In March my area was already in "extreme drought" ... less than 20% of soil moisture. /that is normal.. but in July / August.. not so early like March,,,

---

In fact I noticed that the wild grass last March was "strange" ... although everything was green the grass was smaller and less dense .. had a weak look .. many others of my online friends noticed the same across the country

I noticed that when spring arrived at the end of February the insects were slow to appear, and appeared in much smaller numbers, especially since many plants species did not grow enough and could not stand it long enough.
I believe that many insects have not found the environment to develop this year ... like the ticks.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic