Soil fungus

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Soil fungus

Post by leonardturner »

An exuberant growth of a white fungus on soil prompted this somewhat frustrating exploration which has lasted over several days and many images. In spite of their explosive growth potential, these are fragile organisms and multiple stacks were rather mushy. In some stacks the radial arms could be seen to wave around from one image to the next. I first tried diffused LED lights, and then moved to strobes. Bits of the fungus were moved from the dry mounting surface to a wet paper, and finally to a “tent” composed of the top of a plastic cup with a shooting aperture cut into the bottom, placed on the wet paper, hoping to maintain hydration, humidity, temperature, and avoid any errant wind currents.

Ironically, this was cropped from one of the early images with LED lighting. I believe what I am seeing here is a group of orange conidiophores, perhaps Pencillium or Aspergillus, arising from the transparent fungal hyphae. I would gladly learn from other opinions or thoughts about any of this!

Leonard

cube-tube

Post by cube-tube »

Fascinating image, and an exceptionally difficult subject to photograph. All of those translucent and reflective bits rendered very well.

The upper right corner seems to have the best contrast. What is the field of view? It would be great to isolate the whole subject on a black background.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's an impressive image of a fleeting subject. I am still struggling with subjects like this.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That would be extremely challenging, given the many influences that cause movements, as you describe. The dang thing might be best done as a wet mount prepared for microscopy.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

An excellent result, well worth the effort. I once spent far too much time trying to get a stack of photos of a gyrating Piptocephalis fungus, a frustrating experience!

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks to you all for your sympathy and observations!

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic