Do it yourself ring flash

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Do it yourself ring flash

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/12/di ... flash.html

This may be of interest to someone here. I haven't tried it myself, and can't vouch for it personally.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Certainly an approach worth trying for someone on a budget / no external flash ...

Having also attempted to impove results* from on-board flash (for macro work) with home made rigs, I'll add a few comments.

If you'd prefer not working with tinplate, then use cardboard ... ie 'roll your own', and line the relevant surfaces with std. ali cooking foil (either glue on with pva or similar, or use double sided tape. (or use plastic bottles, lined in a similar way.)

Using a plastic bottle that's made from suitable diffuser material would kill 2 bds with one stone - add stiffness + provide the diffuser.

Apart from being more 'finger friendly', the foil is more reflective than inner can surface. (scrunch foil up, then open out before use)

Whilst tinplate is inherantly stiffer than cdbd / thin plastic, adding (leaving) suitably located flanges / folds will stiffen things up a lot.

Make sure you account for lens extension some way or other.

Got a problem if you want to support your rig by placing the end of the lens on the same surface as subject, because you'll be limiting the pic taking angle even more than normal.

Certainly be lighter (and cheaper) than the usual load of gubbins, so - best of luck to anyone having a go :)

pp

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic