Paramecium

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TekaPrzyrodnika

Paramecium

Post by TekaPrzyrodnika »

Hello :)
I'd like to show you several films with my favourit protist :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MykW-k31Go

Last edited by TekaPrzyrodnika on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Teka, excellent video.

Welcome aboard!
Pau

billporter1456

Post by billporter1456 »

Welcome to the forum. I love that combination of DF and Pol!

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Very nice!

TekaPrzyrodnika

Thank you for your kindness and warm welcome :)

Another film , now for studying them movement :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pDPicc9ats

Last edited by TekaPrzyrodnika on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Welcome
Nice videos
What microscope and camera do you use?

Protos

Post by Protos »

Welcome here ! very interesting views
I am also curious about video mode (slow motion, etc) and microscopy mode (DIC, Pol, etc..)
Zeiss Axiophot, transmitted and Fluorescence
BK5000, Transmitted and CP
Wild M20

TekaPrzyrodnika

Thanks for your positives :)
Equipment is routine... Old labophot with CFN 40x and camera fujifilm x-t10. I don't have DIC unfirtunatly :(
Only polarisation and I try use other technique like DF or - like here- oblique light.
Film is also very comon, without slow motion or another effects - just real-time

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Welcome to the forum, Teka.

Did you close down condenser iris and/or objective iris for your second video? Or was the contrast effect achieved by filter placement alone?

carlos.uruguay and I routinely use oblique+polarization in our videos too. I don't close down any iris and only achieve contrast with filter placement. I don't know if Carlos close down his iris.

I think for 40x NA 0.65 or lower, oblique+pol won't perform much worse than DIC. DIC pulls ahead at 60x or NA 0.85 and above.

And your second video seems to show Frontonia, though it is a close relative of Paramecium. I could be wrong though.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

TekaPrzyrodnika

Welcom again :)
On the second video effect of oblique light was obtained by using piece of dark paper placed close to iris and iris wasn't close down itself.

Frontonia you say...Mayby you're right. Of course I don't claim that this is Paramecium caudatum (it has characteristic shape) but I thought about Paramecium aurelia or similar. There's several or even ten-odd species od Paramecium but I don't have any knowledge to classify anything :/
Last edited by TekaPrzyrodnika on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

billporter1456

Post by billporter1456 »

That second video is simply beautiful! Nicely done!!! I don't think it is Paramecium as I didn't see an oral grove or that star-shaped contractile vacuole. And the overall shape didn't look like Paramecium to my old eyes. But it didn't really look like Frontonia either. Maybe Bruce Taylor will chime in and tell us what the creature is. Regardless of classification, I am very impressed with your work! :D :D

TekaPrzyrodnika

Thank you very much :)
So mayby someone has good knowledge about species of Ciliophora?
I tell you why I thought that this is some species o Paramecium.
This is very very old culture in the jar. I observe only one species of ciliata and one chlorophyta. Ciliata catched in deeper water has slim shape, star-shaped contractile vacuole and low number of (fat?-) globules. On the surface ciliata are fatter but still shaped like the lowers, but wit bigger number of globules (that's why I think that that fat globules bring them to surface). And of course star-shaped contractile vacuole.
Under microscope at the beggining they are normal but when water has evaporised they are getting fatter and they hardly can do any rotation.
Why I don't think that's Frontonia? Because in the weeks when there is apperance milions of chlorophyta they still eats common bacteria. Of course 2-5 algae also some of them but Frontonia seems to not miss a trick to eat any algae they find.

e.g like this (sorry for quality, its from video)

Bruce Taylor

Post by Bruce Taylor »

Lovely videos! The colours are very agreeable.

These appear to be a Paramecium species, somewhat squashed by the coverslip. There are brief glimpses of the cytostome (mouth) as the cell rotates, and it does not resemble that of Frontonia or Ophryoglena. Also, there are two contractile vacuoles.

Pressure increases as water evaporates from the edges of the coverslip, and it is not unusual for a Paramecium to become smooth and oval, with an everted oral groove, like these guys.
It Came from the Pond (Blog): http://www.itcamefromthepond.com/

TekaPrzyrodnika

Thank you very very much for explanation :) It was very helpful :)

Another movie with sweet Paramecium :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSAxnzl3QXM

Last edited by TekaPrzyrodnika on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic