SIGMA 24mm f2.8 SUPER-WIDE II MC MACRO

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

*Later edit. oops - just needed to 'translate' the page in Google. Still a bit sketchy.

http://camera.awane-photo.com/2/4/593-t2/
What language is the page written in?
--Rik

Epidic

Post by Epidic »

Japanese
Will

augusthouse

Storz Zoom

Post by augusthouse »

For those interested. I found a bit more about this lens.

Another one sold on eBay on the 9th of July and it too found its way to Australia.

Quote below from 9th of July listing:

"This is a very unusual zoom lens. It is actually part of an endoscope but can be used as a normal zoom lens. It was made by Storz in Germany and features a zoom control from 70 to 140mm. It has a focussing mount that goes from infinity down to about 1:4 macro. It has a fixed aperture which is about f8. It has a standard T mount fitting, at the moment it is equipped with an Olympus T mount adaptor but this can easily be replaced with one to suit virtually any SLR or DSLR. On a full frame 35mm camera it produces a partially circular image at the 70 mm end but with a modern crop DSLR it fills the frame at all settings. It is a very well engineered lens with coated optics which produces nice sharp results. In good condition with no damage, all glass is free of scratches or fungus. It comes complete with it's own special front lens cap."

Seems like a few contradictions are creeping into the fragmented descriptions of this lens.

There is another one out there if someone is interested. No one is bidding on it so I thought it would be okay to mention. eBay item # 290135479851

Craig

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks like this latest one isn't even offered for bid, but only for "Buy It Now". You just pay the listed price, or hope that it doesn't sell and gets re-listed later for a lower price.

The more descriptions of this lens I see, the more I keep coming back to my original thought that it was intended as a relay lens. The fixed aperture would be because it's intended to pass all the light from the normal eyepiece of an endoscope.

Can you do me a favor, Craig? Mount the lens on your camera, point the back of the camera at some bright area, and look into the front of the lens. You'll see the aperture as a small hole where all the light is coming through. That apparent position of the aperture is called the "entrance pupil". Depending on the lens, the entrance pupil might be round, or polygonal, or even the shape of your camera viewfinder. Further, the hole can appear to be anywhere from floating in air in front of the lens, to being somewhere inside the lens, to being even in back of the camera.

Tell me please, what is the shape of the entrance pupil, where is it located (with respect to the front of the lens), and how large does it appear to be? That last question can be answered, close enough, by holding the lens and a millimeter scale at arm's length, and just eyeballing the entrance pupil as roughly so many millimeters wide.

Thanks!
--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Hi Rik,
I have attached the lens to the D100 and pointed the view finder at a ceiling light. I can see right down the barrel. It's a huge hole.

Looking through the lens at f=140 the 'hole' is round and appears to be toward the back of the lens - it is wide open with the light coming through the viewfinder filling the view. As I come down in steps from f=140 to f=70 the field of view increases (I see more and more of the inside of the camera) and I begin to see the rectangle of the viewfinder - and its surroundings clearly defined at each step.

There are no aperture blades, just the floating hole and I am able to focus at all settings.

With the lens removed from the camera, and holding the lens at arm length, looking from the camera mount end and using a millimeter scale that is virtually right up against the lens I can clearly see 5mm marked on the scale from f=70 through to f=140.

The front of the lens opening, just the glass has a diameter of 7mm.
There is 35mm of open space between the thread mount to the glass at the back of the lens. The glass at the back has a diameter of 18mm. The barrel in total is 80mm.

The auction mentioned is asking ten times what I paid for this lens, so they do become available at pocket-money prices. People don't know what to make of them. I brought mine after a search for microscope camera adapter. It does have a fitting on the end that is circular and controls 4 grab-wheels. Turn the outside circle and the spring loaded grab-wheels humbly recede into the side. Place microscope eyepiece or endoscope in place and the grab-wheels gently reappear and firmly latch on.

Craig

augusthouse

Initial test using Storz

Post by augusthouse »

Just a quick test.

I took some photos with the Storz. The source was a Vogue magazine, and the subject CZJones not completly B&W, most of the coloured dots are actually in the image. Area of the image being photgraphed in images 1 and 4 is 4x 3cm.

Probably need to look at the bigger versions to really see what's going on. They are about 4-5mb in size.

The first image is the Storz attached to the D100 + PK13+PK12+PK11a at f=140 Just selected a nice composition to start with.

The second shot is the same configeration as above but closer and refocused again at f=140. That's the beauty of this lens, adjust shot and refocus with the lens focusing ring.

The third shot is the Storz attached to the PB6 bellows fully extended f=140

The fourth shot was taken with the D100 and a Carl Zeiss Jenna Sonner 135mm at f11 +PK13+PK12+PK11a just for comparison.

I didn't worry too much about the lighting - it was hand held fiber optic. Have not gone into detail regarding technical specs; just wanted to
initially see if the image degraded outward from the center. Didn't lock down the equipment so the focus could be sharper and the exposure longer.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic