Earwig and grass hopper study study

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

daemonoropsis
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Earwig and grass hopper study study

Post by daemonoropsis »

Hi all

I have been converting my setup to run 100% on LEDs instead of flash and would like to share some of the first really succesful stacks. I did these to practice setting up the light at high magnifications. I'm pretty happy ith them my self.

10x mag stack
ImageEarwig by Ectemnius, on Flickr

10x mag stack
ImageThe business end by Ectemnius, on Flickr

9x mag stack
ImageEarwig claw by Ectemnius, on Flickr

20x mag stack - this last one is a detail shot of the top side of the tail
ImageEarwig tale detail shot by Ectemnius, on Flickr

20x detail shot of the eye and base of the antenna on a grasshopper
ImageGrasshopper detail by Ectemnius, on Flickr

20x detail shot of the tail of a grass hopper
ImageGrasshopper detail by Ectemnius, on Flickr

JasonC
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 am
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire

Post by JasonC »

Wow those are great!

RichardF
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:07 am
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by RichardF »

These images look great and you did a really good job on setting up your LEDs.

Can you show us your setup with the LED lights?

I myself also started with LEDs for studio stacking purposes and would like to know how far your LEDs are positioned away from your subject?
I use a metal ring on which i glued a led strip all around, but the position from the subject to the LEDs is around 10cm. Last weekend i have tried the metal ring for the first time to see what the changes were regarding to the IKEA led lights.

Looking at your images i am curious about the color temperature and lumen of the LEDs you have used. I still have to process the stack results from last weekend, but my guess is that i have to change less on the color temperature changes in post processing the image(s).

Did you use any kind of diffusing material ?

Regards,
Richard

daemonoropsis
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by daemonoropsis »

RichardF wrote:These images look great and you did a really good job on setting up your LEDs.

Can you show us your setup with the LED lights?

I myself also started with LEDs for studio stacking purposes and would like to know how far your LEDs are positioned away from your subject?
I use a metal ring on which i glued a led strip all around, but the position from the subject to the LEDs is around 10cm. Last weekend i have tried the metal ring for the first time to see what the changes were regarding to the IKEA led lights.

Looking at your images i am curious about the color temperature and lumen of the LEDs you have used. I still have to process the stack results from last weekend, but my guess is that i have to change less on the color temperature changes in post processing the image(s).

Did you use any kind of diffusing material ?

Regards,
Richard
Hi Richard

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didnt get an notification email.

I'm on vacation at a summer house without my setup but I will see if I can get a decent shot of the setup when I get home in a few weeks. But I basically just use Jansjö LEDs through a diffusion tube (lee frost filter). I wan't to be able to position my lights differently each time (I have a background in model photography, both human and architectural).

I have been shooting with a custom white balance set to 3200K but I will happily change this before converting my raw files. I cant remember where these ended up and I also work extensively with color changing adjustment layers in PS afterwards.

Morten

Cyclops
Posts: 3047
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Post by Cyclops »

Fabulous set! Has the earwig got mites on its pincers?
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

liuto
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 am
Location: Austria

Post by liuto »

Really impressive series of images!

Rikisub
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Post by Rikisub »

No wonder you're happy with the results, they are amazing!

abpho
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 pm
Location: Earth

Post by abpho »

These are excellent images. Well done.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

daemonoropsis
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by daemonoropsis »

Thank all :)

I have just returned from a week in sweden with no computer, internet access or phone access. Very therapeutic :)

Here are three images of the setup as it stand right now:

Image
Image
Image

daemonoropsis
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by daemonoropsis »

For RichardF in reply to a PM

Image

ckatosmith
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:59 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest
Contact:

Post by ckatosmith »

wow. I like the earwig 20x top side of the tail. I still stomp on them, though, and haven't yet the stomach to try photographing them...

abpho
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 pm
Location: Earth

Post by abpho »

Not sure if I should call you Daemonoropsis or Ectemnius. :D I just came from your flickr site. I just want to say that the velvet mite image is freaky. The eyes look so very human in that shot. I could not comment there so I am posting my reply here.

Good work.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

daemonoropsis
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by daemonoropsis »

abpho wrote:Not sure if I should call you Daemonoropsis or Ectemnius. :D I just came from your flickr site. I just want to say that the velvet mite image is freaky. The eyes look so very human in that shot. I could not comment there so I am posting my reply here.

Good work.
Hehe, yeah Daemonoropsis was taken on flickr so I had to come up with something else :)

I just checked the settings an any user should be able to comment, weird. I have been wanting to do a new velvet mite as the original one was taken before I got my 20x so I pushed my 10x way beyond its limits which has made the original very soft.

GemBro
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: Surrey [UK]

Post by GemBro »

daemonoropsis:
oh wow ... those shots are brilliant ... I've been in awe of your Flicker images but something was bugging me with most of them ... then it hit me ... they're all 'clean' ...

so that leads to a question: do you clean them in an ultrasonic bath? ... if not could you please spill the beans on how you prepare your specimens? ...

love the mites on the Earwigs pinchers ... also love the translucent effect (if it is that) ... the yellow hair effect (earwigs face) - are they caused by addtional (coloured) lighting? ...

Gem
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

daemonoropsis
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by daemonoropsis »

GemBro wrote:daemonoropsis:
oh wow ... those shots are brilliant ... I've been in awe of your Flicker images but something was bugging me with most of them ... then it hit me ... they're all 'clean' ...

so that leads to a question: do you clean them in an ultrasonic bath? ... if not could you please spill the beans on how you prepare your specimens? ...

love the mites on the Earwigs pinchers ... also love the translucent effect (if it is that) ... the yellow hair effect (earwigs face) - are they caused by addtional (coloured) lighting? ...

Gem
Thanks :) I dont do much cleaning before shooting, I will occasionally blow some air over the bug using the blower I use to clean my sensor. Most of my cleaning is done in post. here is ans example:

Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic