Topaz Plug-Ins

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

descall

Topaz Plug-Ins

Post by descall »

Hello Forum,

I've just downloaded the 30-day free trial of Topaz Plug-Ins for PS. I'm aware that some of these are used by some members on this forum. Which do you find are the most useful for maco work? And are they worth the money?

Regards,
Des

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I use Topaz DeNoise5 as my routine noise reduction option. I use Topaz Detail 2 for contrast and detail enhancement from time to time. I use Topaz Adjust 5 occasionally. I think Topaz Plugins are good value, though most of what they do, with the possible exception of DeNoise, can be done within Photoshop or other post-processing software with degree of extra effort. Watch out for Topaz special offers, they are quite frequent and significantly reduce purchase cost.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

johan

Post by johan »

I use topaz detail, it's very good at bringing out detail in jpg stacks. But, easy to over cook the result, something to be aware of. Works better for me than unsharp mask or the various other sharpening actions I have in photoshop
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I use DeNoise 5, InFocus (less harsh than UnSharp Mask), Detail 2 (micro contrast enhancement) and JPpeg 4 (without having studied its full potential).

Simplify 3 can be fun:

Can be transformed in Simplify 3, Cartoon option:

If still available, the PhotoShop bundle is excellent value.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

descall

Post by descall »

Many thanks for your replies. I'll have a play during the 30-day trial period and see how I get on. Best regards, Des

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Des,

Check out some of the tutorial videos and archived podcasts.

I use DeNoise, Adjust and Detail on a regular basis. Very good value for money. Topaz pack a lot of of very useful tools into their plugins.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Des,

On advice from Cactus Dave, who introduced me to Topaz, I use DeNoise before using any of the other features. I use it again before saving or using Jpeg.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Harold Gough wrote:I use DeNoise 5, InFocus (less harsh than UnSharp Mask), Detail 2 (micro contrast enhancement) and JPpeg 4 (without having studied its full potential).
I should have added that I sometimes use Shadow Relief and (rarely) Fill Light in Topaz Detail 2.

Harold

DQE

Post by DQE »

Just to add my two cents/Euros:

After some experimentation, I settled on the Nik Software Sharpener Pro 3 Photoshop plugin for sharpness and fine detail enhancement, finding that it is much less prone to "overcooking" and artifacts. Also, I almost never see color or saturation shifts, unlike some of my Topaz experiences.

For noise reduction, I use several approaches, usually being satisfied with Imagenomic Noiseware 5. It is very nicely adjustable and effective with few or no artifacts. I also use Noise Ninja for some purposes.

YMMV, of course.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic