The Bratcam gets a Mitutoyo tube lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Joaquim F.

Post by Joaquim F. »

An impressive assembly, with parts of the highest level and with the appearance of being stable as a rock! thanks for sharing.
Greetings

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks, Joaquim! Glad to share, and hope it's useful to somebody.

As you observe, I it did seem to be rock solid--I'm using the past tense because I can't resist making it a little bit more so, and making it easier to orient the camera vertically. So right now the assembly is back in the hands of my inimitable fabricator, Don Wilson. We are adding two more ring mounts, a length of right-angle aluminum stock, and a second Arca-Swiss plate. Will of course share information after this alteration is completed.

Cheers,

--Chris

Chris S.
Site Admin

The Bratcam gets a Mitutoyo tube lens--upgraded

Post by Chris S. »

Since posting this thread, I've upgraded the Bratcam's tube lens assembly. For anyone considering something similar, I recommend incorporating these additonal features. Both the earlier and current embodiments produce good results, but the newer version makes repeatable results easier to obtain. The rig now has a more confident feel--more support, and a pleasing additional level of solidity; it now feels as solid as a crowbar. I can change lenses or add the polarizing adapter with not the slightest change in framing, even at high magnification. And now I can switch between horizontal and vertical compositions very easily.

Seen from the side--camera goes at the right end, Mitutoyo objective at the left end.

H: Another Arca-Swiss rail from Chris Hejnar (not an Edmund part—about $40). There are now two of these in the assembly. The other one will be shown in the next image.

I: Another T-Mount 48mm Ring Mount with ¼-20 tapped hole: (Edmund stock number NT52-304, $65). There are three of these in the rig. This one grips the focusable T-tube, and adds substantial rigidity.

J: C-Mount Extension Tube (5mm Length) (Edmund stock number NT54-628, $19)

K: C-Mount 30mm Ring Mount with 1/4-20 Tapped Hole (Edmund optics stock number NT52-930, $65)

L: Right-angle bracket custom-made by Don Wilson, of Wilson's Welding and Fabrication (contact details in my signature). Aluminum right-angle stock, with aluminum shim to mount C-rim. Hejnar plates mounted on 90-degree planes.

With camera, vertically mounted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic