Mitutoyo FS-60, first impressions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

Mitutoyo FS-60, first impressions

Post by enricosavazzi »

I took the plunge last week on the big auction site, and this is what the postman dragged in today (not including the objectives, which I already had). It will take time to build a camera adapter and modify the focusing rack for automated stacking, but here are my first impressions.

The Mitutoyo FS-60 is built to use infinity objectives, principally of the M Plan Apo series which is often discussed in this forum. This is a relatively big microscope, compared to ordinary stereomicroscopes. Its lines are deceptively simple, and it looks smaller than its real size in the picture below. I believe this model was produced until approximately 2005. The current model is the FS-70, quite similar in construction.

The binocular head uses eyepieces with 30 mm barrels, by standard 10x with a field stop (i.e. the diameter of the field of view) of 25 mm. There is a fixed beam splitter that directs 50% of the light to the eyepieces and 50% straight up the photo tube. The small port at the rear of the photo port (i.e. at the right of the photo port in the picture) is for coaxial illumination.

The image in the eyepieces is erect (i.e., like in a stereomicroscope). I am planning to build a camera adapter for direct projection, which brings the sensor plane very approximately 10 cm above the present photo port.

The fine focus knob performs a travel of 100 µm per turn (1 µm per division of the scale). The total travel of the rack is 57 mm and can be performed with either the fine or coarse knobs. As a whole, this is a "slow" rack, even when operating the coarse knob.

The stand is a single-piece cast, very solid but with feet not designed to absorb vibrations. It must be placed on a damped platform for sensitive use. It is obviously designed for incident illumination only, and requires a moving stage to be mounted on the base (a subject directly placed on the base cannot be focused, and must be lifted above the base by a couple of centimeters).

The rectangular hatch opens to reveal some of the internal optics. There is a mirror to bend the light from the illuminator port and a semi-transparent mirror to direct it downward through the objective. The real goodie is the tube lens, partly visible at the top left through the hatch. It is a zoom lens with a continuously variable magnification between 1x and 2x (operated by turning the zoom knob through a 90° angle). This is in fact one of the main reasons why I decided to use this scope for implementing my (hopefully) "final solution" for infinity objectives in photomacrography.

The nosepiece accepts four objectives. Three of the objective mounts are centerable.

The image quality through the eyepieces is very good with the Mitutoyo M Plan Apo objectives, and even with the Zeiss Luminar 63 mm shown in the first picture (which gives a magnification around 2x-4x, or 20x-40x with the eyepieces). The setup shown above gives an almost uninterrupted range of magnification between 2x and 20x on the sensor. The Mitutoyo lenses are almost perfecty parfocal with each other (a slight fine refocusing is necessary) and through the zoom range. The Luminar is not parfocal with the other objectives (it could become, with extension tubes of the right length) and remains almost parfocal through the zoom range.

More information when I have the time, either here or on my web site at www.savazzi.net.
--ES

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks for posting this, Enrico--very interesting to me. I'll be looking forward to hearing more as you go forward.

Too bad that zoom isn't 0.5x-1x, instead of 1x-2x. If it were, I'd really be itching for one.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Enrico,

Thankyou for the report and details related to this 'fine' scope.

Let us know what happens when you introduce light via the illuminator port and if it impacts on image quality.
Enrico wrote:I am planning to build a camera adapter for direct projection, which brings the sensor plane very approximately 10 cm above the present photo port.
Is this what I think it is?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Craig Gerard wrote:Enrico,

Thankyou for the report and details related to this 'fine' scope.

Let us know what happens when you introduce light via the illuminator port and if it impacts on image quality.
Enrico wrote:I am planning to build a camera adapter for direct projection, which brings the sensor plane very approximately 10 cm above the present photo port.
Is this what I think it is?

Craig
I can already answer the first question, at least for what concerns the visual image quality through the eyepieces. I can see no degradation of contrast when feeding the axial illuminator with a light guide. In fact, the efficiency of the illumination is much higher than directly illuminating the subject with the same light guide, positioned close to the subject. No visible degradation or flare even with the Zeiss Luminar. To take full advantage of the axial illuminator, however, one needs a light guide with a narrow front that gets deep into the illumination port of the scope. I have one such guide already on order (eBay item 200353819997). The 90 degrees bend of the end of the Mitutoyo light guide is also a necessary feature, to prevent strain of the light quide where it enters the scope.

The light guide I tested does not get deep enough into the port, and the illumination intensity is a little low. This also produces other undesirable effects, like the possibility of focusing onto an image of the front of the light guide, with all glass fibers individually visible. I am not sure how, but this does happen on a focus plane that differs from the focus plane of the subject. Reflection from plane surfaces of the subject might be involved in this.

About the second question, the "clamp" in the picture seems to connect to the photo port on one side, and to hold an eyepiece at the opposite end. A camera tube (possibly containing a magnifying lens) is then attached onto the "clamp". Since I am going for direct projection onto the sensor of the (normally) aerial image produced by the objective + tube lens, I am going to need a shorter tube (probably around 50 mm).

In principle, I could modify a "clamp" like the one in the picture, or build from scratch a similar tube without optics - as long as it fits the photo port and camera, and is of the right (and, preferably, adjustable) length, it will work. The Mitutoyo M Plan Apo objectives are specified for a 30 mm image circle, which is enough to cover an APS-C sensor. I just assume that the tube lens provides the same coverage (at any rate, the Mitutoyo 1x fixed tube lenses do).
--ES

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Chris S. wrote:Thanks for posting this, Enrico--very interesting to me. I'll be looking forward to hearing more as you go forward.

Too bad that zoom isn't 0.5x-1x, instead of 1x-2x. If it were, I'd really be itching for one.
The Mitutoyo VM-40 might be interesting. It has a 0.25x-20x tube lens, in total 25x-2,000x when paired with the 10x high resolution objective and 10x eyepieces (it takes other objectives as well).

I don't know whether resolution would compare with what we see from the M Plan Apo objectives used in optimal conditions. I tend to be skeptical of very wide zoom ranges, especially if designed for use with relatively low resolution videocameras. However, the tube lens might perform well within a more restricted (and more useful) range, like 0.5x-5x.
--ES

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

enricosavazzi wrote:The Mitutoyo VM-40 . . . has a 0.25x-20x tube lens.
The Edmund Optics catalog has similar tube lenses, badged, iirc, as Mitutoyo and Techspec. From the descriptions and suggested assemblies, my sense is that these lenses cut the size of the image circle too much for use on an APS sensor, though not too much for the small sensors commonly used in machine vision.

I share your skepticism about high magnification tube lenses, as the resolving power of the objective would not increase. That's why my interest is in zooming by reducing, rather than increasing, magnification. Would a 10/0.28 on a 100mm tube lens outperform a 5/0.14 on a 200mm tube lens? I don't know, but my very limited trials lead me to think "maybe, at least under some circumstances."

ChrisLilley

Re: Mitutoyo FS-60, first impressions

Post by ChrisLilley »

enricosavazzi wrote: The binocular head uses eyepieces with 30 mm barrels, by standard 10x with a field stop (i.e. the diameter of the field of view) of 25 mm.
enricosavazzi wrote: The Mitutoyo M Plan Apo objectives are specified for a 30 mm image circle, which is enough to cover an APS-C sensor. I just assume that the tube lens provides the same coverage (at any rate, the Mitutoyo 1x fixed tube lenses do).
I am wondering why Mitotoyo design their lenses for a 30mm field and then use only 25mm of it. I assume (like DX and FX lenses) that designing for a wider field is not without cost. Is the last 5mm of lower quality? Or do they sell extra-cost 30mm eyepieces that merely lack the field stop :wink:
Last edited by ChrisLilley on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

enricosavazzi

Re: Mitutoyo FS-60, first impressions

Post by enricosavazzi »

ChrisLilley wrote:
enricosavazzi wrote: The binocular head uses eyepieces with 30 mm barrels, by standard 10x with a field stop (i.e. the diameter of the field of view) of 25 mm.
enricosavazzi wrote: The Mitutoyo M Plan Apo objectives are specified for a 30 mm image circle, which is enough to cover an APS-C sensor. I just assume that the tube lens provides the same coverage (at any rate, the Mitutoyo 1x fixed tube lenses do).
I am wondering why Mitotoyo design their lenses for a 30mm field and then use only 25mm of it. I assume (like DX and FX lenses) that designing for a wider field is not without cost. Is the last 5mm of lower quality? Or do they dsellextra-cost 30mm eyepieces that merely lack the field stop :wink:
Judging from the results we have seen in this forum, the objectives do produce a field of view sufficient to cover at least an APS-C sensor (which happens to be a 30 mm image circle). Mitutoyo does not seem to offer 10x 30 eyepieces, only 10x 25. In theory it would be possible to use the whole diameter of the eyepiece tube (about 28-29 mm), but in practice this seems to be rarely done because it may cause flare and other problems. The photo port is not subjected to the same limitations, so I guess they decided to cover the field of view of a really large (for a videocamera) sensor (which is good for us :D ).

Perhaps it does not cost that much to provide a wider FoV for an objective, compared to the cost of wider and non-standard prisms and eyepieces. Or perhaps they have something in mind that we did not find out yet. 2" eyepieces are used in astronomy, but a trinocular head of this size might double the price tag of a scope, let alone begin to compete for space with the user's nose.
--ES

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I don't recall ever seeing 10x oculars with a field number of 30.

I have some Zeiss oculars of 25 which are intended for their stereos.

Olympus and Nikon have made 26 and 27s. I have a fuzzy recollection of possibly a 28 but I could be having a hallucination. But even the 26 and 27
which I only ran across recently were surprises. Up to that point I had just assumed that 25 was the widest. Probably not easy to fit a field that big into a 30mm OD tube.

I wonder if there are astronomical oculars that wide. There seems to be no limits to what they will make.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

If I remember correctly Pentax made some 2" diameter eyepieces for some of their (tele/spotting) scopes! Not sure how applicable that would be here...

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

lauriek wrote:If I remember correctly Pentax made some 2" diameter eyepieces for some of their (tele/spotting) scopes! Not sure how applicable that would be here...
2" eyepieces are in fact available for amateur telescopes, and even a few 2" binocular viewers at high but not impossible prices (see http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOpt ... ewers.html ). However, unless one uses high eye relief eyepieces, it is difficult to squeeze one's nose between the eyepieces.

I even wondered for a while about building a trinocular head based on one of these binoviewers. The advantage in photomacrography, of course, is providing a FoV that encompasses the whole area of a full-frame sensor, for exact focusing and framing. I think I saw in another thread that someone built a variant of this idea with a single eyepiece, probably with the same goal.
--ES

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Enrico, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I hadn't considered human physiology as a determining factor, nor standard eyepiece tube diameter.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

As a partial update, while testing a makeshift photo tube, I found that the Zeiss Luminar 63 mm on the FS-60 gives a quite large amount of lateral chromatic aberration in pictures (more than when used without a tube lens). So this is not a workable solution for low magnification. Nikon infinity CF objectives, instead, seem to work fine (which is not really a surprise).
--ES

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

enricosavazzi wrote: Nikon infinity CF objectives, instead, seem to work fine (which is not really a surprise).
But Nikon CFI60 have a 60mm parfocal distance while Mitutoyo uses 90mm, no? Obviously they can still be mixed provided the person operating the turret remembers which objective is where ...

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

enricosavazzi wrote: 2" eyepieces are in fact available for amateur telescopes, and even a few 2" binocular viewers at high but not impossible prices (see http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOpt ... ewers.html ). However, unless one uses high eye relief eyepieces, it is difficult to squeeze one's nose between the eyepieces.
Holy cow, look at the size of that thing!!! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic