Gothic Dragonfly

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Gothic Dragonfly

Post by beetleman »

This is the first black Dragonfly I have seen (could be a very dark blue, but looked black to me). Was in a greenhouse perched on some electrical wires.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks black to me Doug. I have seen some dark colored ones around here but mostly a very dark olive with spotted wings. Nice shot. :D

salden

Post by salden »

I have seen a few that looked black, but I never got close enough to make sure.
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Thanks for the comments Sue & Ken...Just an observation....are the times posted in the forums wrong? I also notice at the bottom of the forums it says "All times are GMT + 13 Hours" and Sues` post is dated monday Aug 7th. The only reason I care is I like to know when other people in the world, like Steve in Tazmania, are posting :D
Doug Breda

twebster

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Doug, :D

Since the majority of our members are from the US, I set the forums up to show post/comments submitted as of Eastern Daylight Time which, right now, is Greenwich Mean Time minus 4 hrs (thanks to daylight savings time). The phpBB froum software is notorious for not keeping good time. I checked the time stamp in our forums and see that it has reverted to GMT. I'll reset it back to EDT and we'll see how long the forums keep the correct time. :roll:

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Thanks Tom...your doing one hell of a job here. :smt023 :smt038
Doug Breda

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

beetleman wrote:The only reason I care is I like to know when other people in the world, like Steve in Tazmania, are posting :D
Maybe I should put the time in my posts :?

On the third stroke, it will be 9:42 pm Precisely (Monday night that is)

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

It`s also cool to know that you are in the exact opposite season than we are here in the USA. This Dragonfly post I did at 12:47am at night. If I get a quick reply from the other side of the world, its cool to see what time it is there. I guess " I look at everything, everyday" :D
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hhmm... For me, the footer says "All times are GMT - 7 Hours", which is what I set it to be when I configured my profile (GMT-7 = PDT, Pacific Daylight Time) .

Edit: This post originally showed as having been submitted at 11:48 am, which by my time is when I submitted it. Now that I'm editing it, the time as shown in the edit preview is shifting to match the edit, but it's still in the right time zone. As I hit Preview just now, it's showing 11:51.

Edit #2: But after the edit was submitted, posting time popped back to the original 11:48.

Edit #3: crocoite's posting at his "9:42" shows as "4:42 am" for me. Considering the difference in time zones, that seems right, except possibly for daylight savings shifts. phpBB didn't use to have any built-in support for daylight savings time. I don't know about the current version. Steve, was your "9:42" daylight time, or standard?

Edit #4: beetleman, your initial post done at "12:47 am" shows to me as 10:42 pm. It looks to me like all the times reported by the forum are being converted to my local time. I presume the same thing is true for you. So if you get an immediate reply from somebody on the other side of the world, I'd expect it to show your time, not theirs. Is that different from what you see?

--Rik

PS. Nice dragonfly!

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

OK, I found out what was happening...my kids were messing around with my computer time and i was getting all different times on all the posts. I see what you mean about the posts from Steve (other side of the world...now that I fixed everything, all the times are in my true time. I have two computers and two teens #-o I am surprised they are still working. Can you hear them laughing in the background :smt119
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... :roll: ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best one I've heard this month!

--Rik

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

rjlittlefield wrote:Steve, was your "9:42" daylight time, or standard?
Hi Rik - standard. We go to daylight saving from October through March, which differs from the other Eastern Oz States - Queensland no daylight saving (apparently it stops cows milking), New South Wales and Victoria start a month later than us but finish at the same time, and last year, it was all over the shop because of the Commonwealth Games! Our computer systems at work didn't!

Anyway Doug, glad you have it nutted out now.

Signing off 5.33pm Monday!

salden

Post by salden »

Looks like I am an hour ahead of myself... :lol:

Posting time: 5:59am 8 Aug.
Sue Alden

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

salden wrote:Looks like I am an hour ahead of myself... :lol:

Posting time: 5:59am 8 Aug.
Me too!

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I'm always ahead of my time! :-)

Beautiful dragonfly shot, by the way. I've never seen one like this. WOnder if that is his natural species color, or if this is a melanistic one?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic