Orange tip-Anthocharis cardamines

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

carlos

Orange tip-Anthocharis cardamines

Post by carlos »

hello everyone
shot of yesterday
orange tip

mrwildie

Post by mrwildie »

Beautiful study of the male orenge tip. Reminded me of Robert Thompsons work...Nice and clean with habitat included ....Great! I haven't seen one yet- it's just a tad early for my neck of the woods.

I've cultivated lots of 'Jack by the hedge' this year to encourage this butterfly species to visit my garden more frequently and stay in it a little longer. I think the female just as beautiful if not as colourful as the male

Gary.
"If it's not worth photographing It's not worth looking at .Susan Sontag.
Nikon D300, D300s,60D micro lens ,PB 6 bellows,Stackshot, Nikon twin speed light macro flash system,tripods, reversal rings, tubes and other macro paraphernalia.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

We get a resident pair every year.

The flower is probably honesty, which insects love:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/p ... /507.shtml

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

carlos

Post by carlos »

thank you very much

twebster

Post by twebster »

This is a beautiful image of a delicately patterned butterfly! I love the lace-like, green patterns of the hind wing. I can't find anything I would change about this image. Well done, carlos! :D
Last edited by twebster on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Really lovely shot of a most co-operative subject. Why will they never do that for me? :cry:
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

DQE

Post by DQE »

Wonderful subject, very complementary background, great pose, and technically excellent photography!

These and other factors really made me feel that "spring is in the air", and that flowers and bugs will soon come my way in the northeastern US, too.

I'm not sure I've seen a better arrangement of subject, the background, and the flower it's sitting on - I'm very sure I've not seen such an enjoyable butterfly photo in quite some time.

I can only surmise that you've personally trained the creature as a macro model! (insert friendly smiles here)
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I watched our resident male, no female seen yet, on a couple of sunny days. He flies up and down the garden, flying over the low, flowering plants, occasionally diverting sideways, as though making a floral survey.

What happened on one such flight surprised me. He actually flew closely around each of the individual labels (raised on split canes) of three freshly-planted additions. The cause of this behaviour was the miniature, coloured, printed photographs of each variety integral to each label.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Update:

Within a few minutes of submitting my previous post, my wife reported to me a butterfly, the description of which could fit only the female Orange Tip, on our varigated, white-flowered Honesty.

Harold

carlos

Post by carlos »

thanks everyone for comments

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Lovely shot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic