Time honored discussion :

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

There's a 50/2.8 on an enlarger on ebay AU which would make a reasonable copy stand, probably a few thousand Ks from you , ?.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Charles Krebs wrote:
There were a variety of 105 micro Nikkors. Perhaps Bruce can tell us which one he has. But (way back :wink:) in his original post he mentioned that he was looking for solutions that might take him up to 5X. That's tough to do with a 105mm focal length unless you want to deal with a looooong extension.

He also says he has a 60mm Micro Nikkor. Perhaps the 60mm on bellows will get him to 5x with 'normal' bellows extension; and with excellent resolution?

I think that many of us will agree that even though we have 50/2.8 El Nikkors we never attain the image quality that Charles' gets.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I have a 55mm 2.8 Micro Nikkor which I believe is similar to the 60. Reversed, it's performance is of the same order as enlarging lens, though I haven't kept results.
It's much more cumbersome to use, Bruce, but not enough to stop you experimenting!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

If he has the bellows, and has the lens he should definitely give it a try. "Front-mounted" would likely result in inadequate working distance. I think reversed would be a better way to go. But.... is it a the "D" version that has an aperture ring, or the "G" version that does not? The "G" would not be much of an option.

The BAT

Post by The BAT »

NikonUser wrote:[
What problems do you forsee with your 105mm Micro Nikkor on bellows?
Have you seen these images; at page bottom
HERE
Hi NU,
I hadn't foreseen any problems with my nikkor 105mm micro.
I was asking about the 50mm EL Nikkor because that is the lens that was recommended to me, more than once, after my origional questions to the forum. I'm hoping that those recommendations are still valid?

Bruce...

The BAT

Post by The BAT »

Charles Krebs wrote:NU... nothing wrong there at all!
Bruce... There are other lenses that will work well reversed on bellows. Some will give equal or better images than the El Nikkor 50/2.8. The 50/2.8 El Nikkor is often recommended here because a 50mm focal length provides a nice magnification range when used on a bellows, they are very good optically, (normally) easy to track down at very modest prices.

When you consider the big bucks so much of our gear costs, it's refreshing to realize you can make pictures like this with a $25 lens!
Hi Charles,
The image that you list as an example is exactly where I would like to 'be' one day. As Dave W has pointed out, there are currently no EL Nikkors available to me locally and I have to look to you guys O/S for my choices. I would rather buy from one of the forum members than from a complete stranger over the Ebay a 'million' miles away. . . .
Bruce...

The BAT

Post by The BAT »

Sorry Fellas,
I sbould have been more specific when I listed my lenses in the first posting.
My Nikkor 105mm and 60mm 'micro' lenses are both D series lenses with the aperture rings.
HTH.
Bruce...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic