Could Possibly be a Myxo?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Could Possibly be a Myxo?

Post by Ken Ramos »

There is a small woodland area adjacent to the textile dye facility where I work and during my lunch period I do a lot of snooping around them. I happened across a decaying tree limb lying on the ground and noticed these crusty looking patches growing on it, something similar to what Doug found growing on the wooden parts BBQ grill. Of course examining them using the microscope provided a better look but trying to identify them is sort of difficult to say the least. :roll: By the way, I came across a really great site for those of you who may be interested in myxos and want to search images for what you may think you have found.
http://slimemold.uark.edu/fungi/WebForm ... x?letter=D If I am not mistaken, Prof. Stephenson heads up the research for myxo's at the University of Arkansas as noted in this link. :wink: Anyway here are my pics. :)
Sony DSC-W5
1/13 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Meiji EMZ-13TR
Micro Lite FV 1000 Fluorescent ring illuminator
Sony DSC-W5
1/8 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Meiji EMZ-13TR
Micro Lite FV 1000 Fluorescent ring illuminator

These things are really crusty and in the last image you can see what they look like on the inside. I attempted to find or was hoping to find what I would hope to be a spore mass but did not come across anything. The samples are now residing in a small fishbowl terrarium to see what may just develop from them when returned to a moist environment, I have a feeling though, it is going to be a long wait. :roll:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

They are very interesting Ken. I like the texture of the first picture. Maybe after they rehydrate a little, take a small scraping of the inside and see what you can see under higher magnification.

EDIT: forgot to say "thank you" for the great link also (where is my head today)
Last edited by beetleman on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Can't really comment on your find, but I have looked at this link and can't thank you enough for letting us know about it. I have many images that still puzzle me as to their true nature that may be cleared up by this site.

Will be posting more myxos soon. Thanks again.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Doug and Walt. :D The link combines images from the other one, Galleries of Myxomycetes, and makes them much more easier to search. The site is sponsored by the U of Arkansas it seems and I hope the Professor will keep it up. I find it and the other one to be of great value for helping to ID these little organisms. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic