Early attempt at micro photography - Stentor

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Early attempt at micro photography - Stentor

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Folks,

Just joined this forum today. I have to say that I am just SO impressed with the amazing quality of the images posted on this forum. They are simply amazing! I have spent hours working my way through the postings - and just STARING at the incredible detail! To be truthful, I find myself both inspired and intimidated at the same time.

I have only recently started out with microphotography (microscope 5 weeks, camera 2 weeks). My microscope is a second-hand Carton VSHLB-4 with all achro objectives 4X, 10X, 20X and 40X (I do have a 100X oil but so far have not used it). I am using an 8 megapixel Olympus SP-350 with a purpose made adaptor from Brunel UK.

I have posted a few photos on the Yahoo Microscope Forum and the Yahoo Microscopehobby Forum (with helpful and friendly responses). So, I thought I’d put up a couple of photos that I took/processed earlier today. I collected the water from Stockgrove Country Park in Buckinghamshire while out walking my dog yesterday afternoon.

Taken with the Swift 200X objective plus very light enhancement in Photoshop on both images. The photos are of the same animal (a Stentor of some type):

Regards,
Bruce

Thomas Ashcraft

Re: Early attempt at micro photography - Stentor

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

Bruce wrote: " Hi Folks,

I have only recently started out with microphotography (microscope 5 weeks, camera 2 weeks). My microscope is a second-hand Carton VSHLB-4 with all achro objectives 4X, 10X, 20X and 40X ........ "

Hi Bruce,

Good stuff! Good science. Keep shooting and you will find by experience where your particular equipment and lighting has its strengths.

Enjoy the bountiful micro-realms.

Tom in New Mexico

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

And a hearty welcome to you Bruce (extending A virtual hand out in friendship) Great to have you in the forums :smt039 . I spent months looking at all the photos in this forum before I joined. You will find a wealth of info here and a great bunch of people. I think you did a fine job of capturing these Stentor pictures (one of my favorite creatures to look at) and a nice job on their cilia. :smt023 Welcome again.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Good stuff Bruce, welcome to the pond! :D
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hi ya Bruce :D Some great photographs here :!: No need to be shy about your work, looks pretty good to me, we will be expecting to see more :wink: . Welcome aboard! :D

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Welcome Bruce! :D Nice job. I'm not quite into microphotography but keeping my eyes on you guys. :wink:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Very nice first photos.

Walt

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Bruce,

welcome here from me too, I'm an old aquaintance from the yahoo group. Once again I am impressed by your remarkable first attempts (putting me to shame, when I think of my first dodgy results!!).

You captured the Stentor very nicely!!

The utmost quality images of some guys here is amazing and makes one think: can I dare to post at all? But believe me, this is a bunch of nice, open minded and helpful people here and you will benefit a lot showing all your attempts.

See you

Bernhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic