Yellow-spotted Salamander

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Yellow-spotted Salamander

Post by NikonUser »

In response to a photo of a Yellow-spotted Salamader by Jim Bailey, Harold Gough
HERE
wrote "Handsome beasts. Any chance of shots from the side?"

Temporary removed from breeding pond, April 1991. Ambystoma maculatum
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

My town is having a debate about building a tunnel under a favorite Salamander crossing spot on a road. last spring, a group of humans was slowing traffic for them and caused a problem with the police. I think they should just close the road on the few days that they cross (warm rainy early spring days). They can just about perdict the days just by the weather.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

That's the way I like to see them!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

beetleman wrote:My town is having a debate about building a tunnel under a favorite Salamander crossing spot on a road.
I do believe these salananders should be protected. Locally they (I guess we as taxpayers) are building tunnels beneath highways as Moose crossings, no so much to protect the Moose but to protect motorists. One is carried away from an encounter with a Moose.
Tunnels work but you need a barrier to prevent animals actually crossing the road. In the salamander case perhaps a group of people could patrol the shoulder of the road and collect the salamanders into buckets and then carry them across at the end of the session. Alternatively place a temporary vertical polyethylene wall along the outer edge ot the shoulder, either hand collect the salamanders that get stopped there or sink 1-gallon buckets flush with the ground surface to act as pitfall traps for the salamanders. Remove the salamanders in the early am and take them across the road. Remove the buckets, polyethylene, and fill in the holes at the end of the few days when they are migrating.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Such rescues happen regularly with frogs and toads in the UK. I have not heard of it being done with newts. (I don't think they travel much).

Are the migrations, where applicable, of the tailed amphibians as predictable?

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting a side view. It's a good shot! My supply of these fellows is sleeping for the winter, now. The TV guy thinks it might snow a trifle here on Sunday.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic