Fall Fruit - Yew, NEW image added

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough wrote:Another autumn fruit now ripening in southern England is that of the spindle tree Euonymus europaeus. The shocking pink capsules eventually split open to reveal orange seeds. Spectacular in close-up!

Harold
Yes! I want to find one of these trees but have yet to come across one. You mention they are found in southern England but I wonder what their northernmost limit is. I used to live in the midlands but never came across one there either.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

That you have'nt seen them is possibly because they are inconspicuous, except when the fruits are ripe. I was scarcely aware of them in my own front garden until a couple of years ago.

It is characteristic of chalky soil, except in the north of Scotland. Try roadside verges down minor country roads and woodland.

The plant is poisonous but I have no details.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Yea i had an idea they were poisonous-its surprising how many poisonous plants are out there! I know they have cracking autumn foliage too! This Euonymous is so different to the usual small green and white leaved shrubs seen in so many gardens! Oh and did you know the name Euonymous means Well named!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I don't have time to find my trannies at the moment but I think there was considerable variation in the autumn foliage colours, even on the same plants. The one I can see from this window has some subtle deep yellows and reds.

I forgot to mention that there is more than one variety, red and/or purplish?) capsules being less common than the pink ones. I have seen two forms growing as adjacent bushes next to a golf club.

Harold

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Here's something. the common name, Spindle Tree, do you think that relates to what the wood was used for, making some kind of spindles?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

That's exactly what it was used for, being very hard wood.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic