Fall orb weavers

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Fall orb weavers

Post by Charles Krebs »

Around here, this is always a good time of year to keep an eye out for these spiders.

All with 200/4 Micro Nikkor and Nikon D300. Electronic flash.

tpe

Post by tpe »

Very nice lighting on those and the last one is a beaut for detail.

I remeber having taken one into the flat one autmn because i thought it may get rid of the moth infection from the flower shop below us. After a little while we had several hundred little spiders running around the appartment. They were really quite beautiful fully formed but so small even the GF thought they looked cute, well untill they dispersed all over the appartment and kept turning up in the oddest places for ages. I was wondering if all the really large ones, that I presume these are, are all pregnant at this time of year?

tim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Tim commented:
I was wondering if all the really large ones, that I presume these are, are all pregnant at this time of year?
By no means that familar with these things but that seems to be the case from what I can tell. I have noted one or two in the past, their abdomens bursting open and the young scattering about by the hundreds it seems.

I am wondering what that appendage is between the two hind legs. It appears to have a round black something or another on each side of it. Reproductive organ perhaps? :-k

Great photos as usual Charlie, even if they are of a SPIDER!! :shock: :lol:

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

haven't posted in a while but always nice stuff charles!
Jordan L. photo southern california.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken Ramos wrote:I am wondering what that appendage is between the two hind legs. It appears to have a round black something or another on each side of it. Reproductive organ perhaps? :-k
Yes. That's the epigynum. See http://www.canadianarachnology.org/data/spiders/14834 , "Details About Females". Structure and appearance of the epigynum varies hugely between species and is a key character for identification.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic