Costa Rican leafcutter Ant #2

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Costa Rican leafcutter Ant #2

Post by beetleman »

I was mounting this ant and I realized it was a different species. I have to say that this species is a little better looking than the first one I photographed. I did have to do some major work on this specimen to make him look perfect. Can you spot what I had to do?
First leafcutter here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=5791

F/6.3
ISO 100
Ex 1s
Canon 400D, Kenko Extension tubes, canon 100mm macro
Stack of 65 images With HF

F/6.3
ISO 100
Ex .5s
Canon 400D, Kenko Extension tubes, canon 100mm macro, reversed 50mm
Stack of 44 images With HF
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

P_T

Post by P_T »

Don't tell me you combed it... :shock:

I really like the first image, the legs make an interesting pattern and the head is not disembodied. :D

NikonUser

Re: Costa Rican leafcutter Ant #2

Post by NikonUser »

beetleman wrote:I I did have to do some major work on this specimen to make him look perfect. Can you spot what I had to do?
Obviously lost legs and most of thorax; also seems to have had a bit of a hair cut. Hairs missing on right antenna and back of head; a cloned back of head spike on the ant's left.
Correct? Do I win a prize?

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Basicly the specimen was 99% intact. All legs, thorax and abdomen were complete. This ant has such long legs it is like a spider. She was missing her left antenna so I cloned the right one, changed the angle a little and moved it into position. Also, the tip of her left mandible was missing, so I used the tip of the other one and patched that up. You can see that better in the closeup. The closeup of the head was at a higher angle, so the horns of the head showed up better but i did have to airbrush out the legs behind the head and that is why some of the hairs are missing. It is really hard to cut around fine hairs. The horns had halos around them from stacking, so that actually made it rather easy to cut around them. The two spikes behind the head of the first image are on the thorax and behind them, you can just barely see two spikes that are on the petiole (abdominal segment).
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

You missed your vocation, a portrait photographer if I ever came across one!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic