Couple of plant macros-colour

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Couple of plant macros-colour

Post by Cyclops »

Just took these two shots. For lighting I used the light on my mobile phone which is very bright and photographically white,like a flashgun. First a close up of a segment of my Christmas cactus,about half life size.I placed it behind the plant so that it highlighted the outline and tiny bristles, but also you can see the plants cells!

Secondly we have a close up of the terminal bud of a palm seedling(Chamaedorea metallica)
Lit from the front with the phone:

Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

I especially like the first image Larry.

Imaginative and effective lighting; it compliments the composition and defines the outline of the segment. The light shining through the segment is also a significant factor that makes this an interesting photograph. The background is also playing an important role.

I like it :smt023

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Thanks Craig. This wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't for that phone as I have no other light source. Its like a very powerful LED source,which suppose it is.(there are two small lights in the phone's camera part)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

If I'm completely honest the second one doesn't do much for me, I think it might be that too much of the subject is OOF.

But, the first is absolutely lovely, perfect lighting for the subject. Really nice work!

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Nicely done photos. They are well and properly lit for effect. They are an uncommon look at what most people would overlook on this plant. Most would only see the blossoms.

Jim

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

lauriek wrote:If I'm completely honest the second one doesn't do much for me, I think it might be that too much of the subject is OOF.

But, the first is absolutely lovely, perfect lighting for the subject. Really nice work!
Thanks Laurie. I wanted to get just the bud on that palm to concentrate on its structure but because everything was so close together, it being a seedling, I couldnt 'get in' to isolate it and the leaves would get in the way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic