What am I doing wrong? help with Nikon D70 & PB-6 bellow

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

albert

What am I doing wrong? help with Nikon D70 & PB-6 bellow

Post by albert »

Hi

I have been lurking here a while enjoying all of your posts and getting thoroughly inspired.. so thanks to all..

I'm just beginning to create a macro setup using a d70 body
and I cannot even get it attached to the pb-6 bellows. (grrr)

I bought the PK-11A extension ring as per this page:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources ... ro_8b.html
states: "MF bodies can be mounted directly onto the bellows. If however an AF body is used, the PK-11a 8mm extension tube is required as interface between the bellows and the AF body. This ensures no damage is done to the AF body’s.."

The grip is hitting the lower edge of the bellows housing and keeping them apart only ever so slightly, but enough..
it is even worse without the ring, bummer .
I know I must be doing something wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, tx,
albert

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Albert,

I don't have the PB-6 or D70 (I use a D200 and D300 on a PB-4). It sounds like the that the 8mm PK-11a may be too short to allow the camera to be readily attached due to the protrusion of the grip. (not an issue with older film cameras). You may need a longer extension tube. But first try this... before trying to attach the camera, manually "rotate" the camera bayonet on the back of the bellows into a different orientation (either "vertical" or half way between vertical and horizontal), and try mounting the camera (and tube) again.

albert

D70 & PB-6 bellows

Post by albert »

Hi Thanks.

No one but nikonians.com mentions the need for any extension ring.
the d70s owner's manual says:
'Attach in vertical orientation (can be used in horizontal orientation once attached).'

this is all Nikon knowledge base says on the subject:

"The Bellows Focusing Attachment PB-6 lets you vary the lens extension from 48mm to 208mm, producing frame-filling images of the most minute subjects.

Instructions:

Using some Nikon Digital SLR's (D100, D70) with the PB-6 bellows requires following special steps. To mount the camera, please conform to the following sequence:

1. Rotate the lens bayonet on the PB-6 to the vertical position. Do this before attempting to mount the camera. If the PB-6 lens mount is in the horizontal position, the bellow's rail system interferes with the positioning of the D100 on the mount.
2. With the bellows mount in the vertical position, mount the camera in the normal manner. Later, if you wish to position the camera to horizontal, it is possible. Release the bellow's lock mechanism, and rotate the camera to the horizontal position."

I cannot get it on - and it's obvoius how it should go, I just don't understand how they could miss this again and again at Nikon, make me feel Im missing something..

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Albert,

I have the PB-4 and the PB-6 and use a Nikon D100 (minus additional battery grip) with both. I also have the PK-11a attached between the bellows and the DSLR.

Is the red marker on the PB-6 bayonet fitting at the side or on top of the bellows? It needs to be at the side.

If the red marker is on top, press the 'staircase' button and gently rotate the bellows bayonet fitting (just the silver bit) anti-clockwise until the red marker is at the side of the bellows. That's where in should be by default and then attach the DSLR.

When attaching the DSLR, the body of the camera will initially need to be in a position somewhere between vertical and horizontal. (The animation at the top of the page you linked to is missing a frame or two at the beginning and can be somewhat misleading).

You will need to line up the 'red-marker' on the side of the PB-6 bellows bayonet with the 'white' marker on the front of your DSLR and/or PK 11a and gently rotate the DSLR anti-clockwise into vertical or 'portrait' mode. You will hear a gentle 'click'.

When correctly attached to the bellows the DSLR will be in 'portrait' mode. The body of the DSLR can be moved into the 'horizontal' using the button that looks like a small black 'staircase' near the rear bayonet of the PB-6. The 'staircase' button is the "bellow's lock mechanism".

Let us know how you go.

Craig

P.S. To remove the DSLR body from the bellows, first rotate the camera body to the vertical position, then press the DSLR body's lens release button and dismount the camera.
Last edited by augusthouse on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Looking at the body dimensions of both the D100 and the D70:

D100: 144 x 116 x 81 mm (5.7 x 4.6 x 3.2 in)

D70: 140 x 111 x 78 mm (5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in)

The D70 is smaller than the D100. My D100 attaches without any problem. The D70 will be fine.

I use the PK-11a extension ring to protect the AF contacts.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

albert

!!Yes!!

Post by albert »

Thank You, wow!! You guys are awesome,,
Thank you soo much!
I am all set to go now, all I need are some cool bugs..
all I have are roaches,
so far - best!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic