Scope objective thread sizes

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

And there it stalled.
Yeah, I've never been happy with the way that thread stalled out, either. As best I can recall, it ran afoul of the constraints of time and higher priority problems.

Any contributions you can make toward fully explaining the experimental results will be most appreciated.

However, please note that "drive-by criticism" is generally not helpful or productive.

You write that
Of course the 38mm lens "degrades" at f5.6.
and imply that I am surprised by that. In fact, I am well aware of effective aperture and diffraction, and why those phenomena imply that a macro lens on bellows "should" give best resolution when operated wide open. However, only the best lenses actually meet that expectation. Lesser lenses, typical of those used by many of this forum's members, often perform best at less than maximum apertures. In context, the point of the sentence that you complain about is only to emphasize that different lenses behave differently in practice -- which is why it's a Very Good Idea to test your own lenses to see how they actually perform.

You also write that
Rik noted the problem of diffraction and effective aperture, but didn't actually do the calculations that would have shown him the light...
As far as I know, the only issue that I'm still in the dark about is why the microscope objectives exhibit so much larger cone angle than the macro lenses, despite calculations to the contrary based on NA and f-number (not all shown in the thread) .

I would be most grateful if you can provide those.

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Joseph -

Thanks for raising the excellent point about the potential effects of optical asymmetry upon exposure when using objectives outside of their nominal magnifications. A few clarifications:

Canon lenses are typically 1/3 to 2/3 stops slower than Nikon lenses stamped with the same speed.

At f/4 and 4X, I get identical exposure measurements from the 35mm Canon lens and my 40mm Zeiss Luminar, although both lenses could be in error.

The CF N Plan Achromat 4/0.13 is a 210mm tube lens, is it not? That makes it a 52.5mm f3.81

Actually, its designed for the 160mm tube length, making it a 32mm f/3.84 objective.
This means that the clear aperture really is 13.77mm only at one magnification, 4x. If you tested at a higher magnification, the small front element occluded the entrance pupil, and the lens tested slower than it should have.

The Canon 35mm f2.8 has a clear aperture of 12.5mm. If you tested both lenses at 4x, you'd probably find the Nikon to be 1/3 stop faster than the Canon at 4x. At higher magnifications, the Canon would catch up to the Nikon, and then pass it in speed.
Both lenses were tested at 4X, the nominal magnification of the Nikon objective, as confirmed independently with each lens through the use of a stage micrometer (sorry I didn't make this clear in my initial message). The Nikon tested 1/3 stop slower than the Canon, about .6 stop faster than predicted by using the formula.

Joseph S. Wisniewski

My apologies

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

rjlittlefield wrote:
And there it stalled.
Yeah, I've never been happy with the way that thread stalled out, either. As best I can recall, it ran afoul of the constraints of time and higher priority problems.
I think we've all been there. The term I usually use is "life got in the way". ;)
rjlittlefield wrote: Any contributions you can make toward fully explaining the experimental results will be most appreciated.

However, please note that "drive-by criticism" is generally not helpful or productive.
My apologies for that. I tend to come on a bit strong, sometimes.
rjlittlefield wrote: You write that
Of course the 38mm lens "degrades" at f5.6.
and imply that I am surprised by that. In fact, I am well aware of effective aperture and diffraction, and why those phenomena imply that a macro lens on bellows "should" give best resolution when operated wide open. However, only the best lenses actually meet that expectation. Lesser lenses, typical of those used by many of this forum's members, often perform best at less than maximum apertures. In context, the point of the sentence that you complain about is only to emphasize that different lenses behave differently in practice -- which is why it's a Very Good Idea to test your own lenses to see how they actually perform.
Agreed, obviously. I was having a bit of trouble discerning your test methodology. I'll have to give it another read.
rjlittlefield wrote: You also write that
Rik noted the problem of diffraction and effective aperture, but didn't actually do the calculations that would have shown him the light...
As far as I know, the only issue that I'm still in the dark about is why the microscope objectives exhibit so much larger cone angle than the macro lenses, despite calculations to the contrary based on NA and f-number (not all shown in the thread) .

I cant, because there is no relationship between cone angle and NA (or f stop).

The cone angle is determined by "field stops", which are independent of whatever stop sets the system aperture. Basically, you just ray trace the lens design, and this will show you what stops the light.

The field stops usually have to be pretty far from the aperture, to reduce the field without stopping down the wanted ray bundles. The cones we're dealing with here are so narrow (minimum extension on the bellows setup I described earlier is 156mm. For a 43mm "full frame" sensor, that's a 2*arctan(43mm/2/156mm) = 15.7 degrees cone. A lens is typically field stopped by the sizes of one or more elements, but for macro lens (and objective) designs, that's typically a huge cone, at least 30 degrees.

Now, if we pick on the 16mm Luminar, it's field stop is the actual rear of the lens tube. The tube is pretty much as large in diameter as is possible for the RMS mount, so it's essentially "stopless". The rear element is 6mm in diameter, 26mm from the opening of the tube, which is 17mm in diameter.

(I'm using the plastic caliper for some quick measurements, instead of putting the plastic extensions on the good digital caliper, so the numbers are crude, and I'm using whole mm).

That means the angle where the tube first starts to occlude the rear element is arctan((17mm-6mm)/2/26mm) = 11.9 degrees. In other words, even at the shortest bellows extension, there should be no vignetting in a 76mm diameter circle.

The Nikon CF M Plan 20 ELWD, by comparison, has a very different construction, the rear element is recessed about 19mm into a hole the same diameter as the rear element, 9mm. You get some vignetting as soon as you move even slightly off center, but you need to go 0.3x the diameter of the circle (if memory serves) to be 1/2 stop down, and that's arctan(0.3*9/19) = 8 degrees. Add that 19mm to the 156mm for the bellows and adapters, and that 1/2 stop down circle is 48mm in diameter.

Vignetting should be a pretty rare phenomenon, and actual stopped fields, ever rarer.

Joseph S. Wisniewski

dmillard wrote:Thanks for raising the excellent point about the potential effects of optical asymmetry upon exposure when using objectives outside of their nominal magnifications. A few clarifications:

Canon lenses are typically 1/3 to 2/3 stops slower than Nikon lenses stamped with the same speed.

At f/4 and 4X, I get identical exposure measurements from the 35mm Canon lens and my 40mm Zeiss Luminar, although both lenses could be in error.
David, that was humor, sort of a reference to the endless "Canon vs. Nikon" threads you see on most "mainstream" photography forums...

Man, I have really got to start using smileys more often.
dmillard wrote:
The CF N Plan Achromat 4/0.13 is a 210mm tube lens, is it not? That makes it a 52.5mm f3.81

Actually, its designed for the 160mm tube length, making it a 32mm f/3.84 objective.
Thank you. One more for the acronyms list. "CF" is 210mm, "CNF" is 160mm, "CFI" is infinity, with the magnification calculated at 200mm.
dmillard wrote:
This means that the clear aperture really is 13.77mm only at one magnification, 4x. If you tested at a higher magnification, the small front element occluded the entrance pupil, and the lens tested slower than it should have.

The Canon 35mm f2.8 has a clear aperture of 12.5mm. If you tested both lenses at 4x, you'd probably find the Nikon to be 1/3 stop faster than the Canon at 4x. At higher magnifications, the Canon would catch up to the Nikon, and then pass it in speed.
Both lenses were tested at 4X, the nominal magnification of the Nikon objective, as confirmed independently with each lens through the use of a stage micrometer (sorry I didn't make this clear in my initial message). The Nikon tested 1/3 stop slower than the Canon, about .6 stop faster than predicted by using the formula.

Now that is just plain weird.

My first guess would be that the Canon lens is behaving slower than it's supposed to. How are its coatings, as opposed to those on the Nikon objective, and do you notice any possible light losses (discolored cement, fungus, etc)?

Did you check either lens against a "dummy" aperture? Whenever I do "T Stop", as opposed to "f stop" tests, I set the system up first for by light metering a pinhole of known and precise diameter.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Greetings Joseph!
Thank you. One more for the acronyms list. "CF" is 210mm, "CNF" is 160mm, "CFI" is infinity, with the magnification calculated at 200mm.
"CF" in Nikon-speak stand for "chromatic-aberration-free" and in their ("older") finite tube length objectives these come in two flavors: 160mm tube length and 210mm tube length. The "N"... as in CF N 10/0.30... only designates "New", and this was added to some objectives to differentiate an updated design from the previous version. There are plenty of 160mm tube length CF's out there. (And as you know, there are plenty of "CF" M Plans that are not marked anywhere as CF at all. :smt017)

Charlie

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Thanks Charlie.

:oops: So the "N" has uses in the database, but not for identifying tube length. Is the parfocal distance for the 160mm tube CFN still 45mm?

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Joseph,

Nikon started making the "CF's" in 1976. I'm not sure, but I think all were DIN specs, which would mean a 45mm parfocal distance. (All the 160 tube length CF's I've sever seen are 45mm parfocal).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: My apologies

Post by rjlittlefield »

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote: My apologies for that. I tend to come on a bit strong, sometimes.
Apologies accepted. I've been told I have the same tendency. :(

I just thought I'd mention the style issue because the discussions here at photomacrography.net are generally quite collegial, and as admin I'd like to have them stay that way. :wink:

Switching back to technical...
rjlittlefield wrote:...why the microscope objectives exhibit so much larger cone angle than the macro lenses, despite calculations to the contrary based on NA and f-number (not all shown in the thread) .

I cant, because there is no relationship between cone angle and NA (or f stop).

The cone angle is determined by "field stops", which are independent of whatever stop sets the system aperture. Basically, you just ray trace the lens design, and this will show you what stops the light.
I think that what you describe and what I illustrated are not the same thing.

The key difference is in the setup: "Here's what appears when a laser pointer is used to illuminate a small spot of matte transparent tape stuck across the back of the bellows."

In the setup that I used, the matte transparent tape serves as a diffuser that turns a small spot of collimated light into a small spot of light sending rays in all directions. Some of those rays pass through the lens aperture and are refocused on what would ordinarily be the subject side of the lens. Those are the rays that form the red cone in the illustrations, when I intercepted their paths with a piece of paper. The paths of those rays are exactly the same as the paths of rays that would form an image if an illuminated subject were placed at the focus point and a sensor were placed at the rear of the bellows. So unless I've missed something pretty fundamental, what the test shows really is a direct visualization of the cone angle that would be measured by NA.

I've taken another look at the data and extended the thread (here) with a more detailed description of the measurement and calculations. Take a look, please, and let me know what I've missed.

Thanks,
--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Sorry to be posting on an old thread. I hope Laurie (or someone) is still interested.
Always interested! (Although some of the stuff in the thread now does go over my head a bit!)

Hopefully a simple question! Are all Nikon M PLAN objectives CF whether marked so or not? I just got a Nikon M PLAN 20x LWD, I know the ELWD has much better working distance but this one seems quite usable.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Are all Nikon M PLAN objectives CF whether marked so or not? I just got a Nikon M PLAN 20x LWD, I know the ELWD has much better working distance but this one seems quite usable.
No, not all. There are older ones that are not. I would have to see it to know (or make a guess :wink: ).

If it isn't, you would probably notice it in your pictures pretty easily.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Charles. I haven't given it a proper test as yet, I started to try a stack last night with it but the specimen woke up and spoiled it!! ;)

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I've done a couple of tests with the new lens now (Nikon 20x M Plan LWD) and I think it must be a CF, I can't see any particular problems with IQ. Here's one of my eyebrow hairs, only a quick and dirty stack:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic