Damselfly Stack Stereogram

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jody Melanson

Damselfly Stack Stereogram

Post by Jody Melanson »

Cross your eyes while looking at this until you see one picture.

Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Exposure Time = 1/200"
F Number = F14
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 150mm + 3 Tubes + Reversed 50/1.8
Color Space = sRGB
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
Tripod
Mirror Lockup
Remote Shutter Release
3 Flash Units
23 Frames Stacked with CombineZP for each picture
Capturer of God's Creations.

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Nuts, I wish I could see 3D!
Great shot tho!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I love stereo, and this one works very well. :smt023

A few small stereo defects... 1) There seems to be some mismatching debris on the eye at upper right that causes two light spots to appear behind the eye, as if it were transparent. 2) There's a stacking artifact on the leg at lower left, under the eye, that causes some detail to be missing from the left image (right eye). 3) There's another stacking artifact, or possibly debris, just above the thorax at the right side of the right image.

These are minor -- the image looks great overall. :D

And one administrative nit... The image is presented as 1000 pixels wide but the posting guidelines say 800 max. (Cropping away some of that left side background would take care of this problem quite nicely.)

--Rik

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I love stereo too and this is probably the best image I have seen on the web. I have been hoping someone would combine stacking and 3D.
Crossed eye 3D works real well for me.

Rik you must have unbelievable eyes to spot those defects. How long did it take you? Please don't say 15 seconds or I will have to give up completely.
:cry:

Although ,I was so elated to see this picture that I wasn't in technical mode.
I was just excited. I am not that crazy about bugs but I love dragon and damselflies and a number of others. A very realistic and wonderful set of images. I hope we shall see more of these. :D

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Any tips on 'seeing' these? I've tried everything I can think of in terms of positioning, using a finger to cross the eyes etc, I think I can /very briefly/ see /an/ image in the middle using the finger, but I can't hold it long enough to get a decent look at it - I do wish I could view these things properly!!

I can't see those 'dotty stereogram' things either...

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

lauriek wrote:Any tips on 'seeing' these? I've tried everything I can think of in terms of positioning, using a finger to cross the eyes etc, I think I can /very briefly/ see /an/ image in the middle using the finger, but I can't hold it long enough to get a decent look at it - I do wish I could view these things properly!!

I can't see those 'dotty stereogram' things either...
Well, I cant see 3D at all as I can only see thru one eye! To me everything is 3D!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

g4lab wrote:I love stereo too and this is probably the best image I have seen on the web. I have been hoping someone would combine stacking and 3D.
Stereo stacks are not common, but you can find quite a few of them if you search for "stereo" in the forum here and also in the archives of the old forum.

I've been doing them for something like four years, but never very often because they're time-consuming and the audience is small. Mostly I reserve them for subjects where the structure just can't be appreciated in a single image, such as these tick mouthparts, this spider pedipalp, or this spiral seedhead.
Rik you must have unbelievable eyes to spot those defects.
Well, practice helps. It turns out that, for reasons too complicated to explain here, I started paying attention to stereo defects over 25 years ago. It's not a very useful skill in everyday life -- with the notable exception of solving those little puzzles to "find the differences in these two images". Fuse 'em up, and see which bits don't match! :roll:

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:Any tips on 'seeing' these? I've tried everything I can think of in terms of positioning, using a finger to cross the eyes etc, I think I can /very briefly/ see /an/ image in the middle using the finger, but I can't hold it long enough to get a decent look at it - I do wish I could view these things properly!!
See diagram at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 8&start=13 and discussion earlier in that same thread.
lauriek wrote:I can't see those 'dotty stereogram' things either...
Not to worry, that's a slightly different problem. I generally have to struggle with those things too.

--Rik

P_T

Post by P_T »

What software do you recommend to make this kind of image? I noticed only one camera is mentioned so unless the author has double of everything (unlikely), the effect must've been done inside a software.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

P_T wrote:I noticed only one camera is mentioned so unless the author has double of everything (unlikely), the effect must've been done inside a software.
Good stereo comes from actually shooting the subject at two different angles. For a static subject, one camera works fine. You just shoot one stack, then reposition the camera or turn the subject, and shoot another stack.

Assembling the final pair often requires nothing more than Photoshop. Particularly difficult cases may require specialized software such as StereoPhoto Maker to fix up keystoning and so forth.

--Rik

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

I just can't do these, I don't know why. I have no trouble with stereo viewers etc but my eyes just don't cross, such a shame as they look awesome.

Graham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's worth noting that the free software StereoPhoto Maker is also a very flexible viewer that allows changing output format at the click of a button.

It knows how to convert crossed-eye to red/cyan if you have those funky glasses.

It also converts crossed-eye to same-side format for use with stereo viewers like this Wheatstone Mini (my personal favorite).

"StereoPhoto Maker -- don't stay home without it." (Sorry, been watching too many advertisements, I guess. :wink: )

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Hmm. I cannot see these things! I enhanced your technique in that post and I can now see one out of focus image or two in focus images but not one in focus image!!

I got a bit of wire, put a small knot in the middle, held the wire in between two pieces of card, such that the knot is in the middle of the cards. I then use the cards to block the eyes so each eye can only see the intended image. (as described in Rik's linked post). If I then focus on the knot in the wire I can see a single OOF picture behind the knot, but I just cannot seem to defocus my eyes from the knot and focus on the pictures on screen without my eyes uncrossing. It's very frustrating!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic