Cranefly stack

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Cranefly stack

Post by lauriek »

I found a pretty cranefly today, it looks a bit odd from this angle, and there are still a few issues which hopefully don't show up too badly at web size...

Stack of 140 images, Nikon 10x CF plan objective. Aligned and stacked in CZP.

nto

Post by nto »

Laurie pleasant magnification, perhaps too confused the bottom?
Antonio

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

That was my thought also, although I quite like the way it looks like a little guy with arms and legs, and super weird nipples!!

Here's a less cluttered version with shallower DOF...

Same input images but shallower stack..

P_T

Post by P_T »

I like the first one better, looks like he's about to kiss someone below him. :D

The part that gets a bit confusing for me is the middle area right between the eyes. It almost seem as if those hairs are floating. There's no hair shadow and surface texture on the fly.

Perhaps moving one of the lights to the front left/right of the face would give you more surface definition?

Nitpicking apart, excellent stack as always Laurie.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

That's a good call actually, I must admit I hadn't particularly noticed that, but looking even at the full sized images there is no surface detail at all showing up.

I can only presume as the other detail, hairs, compound eyes seems to be captured okay, that this bug has a particularly featureless surface at this level of magnification! I intend to run more stacks on this so I will investigate some different lighting!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic